free website stats program Replacing the EVO Cam | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing the EVO Cam

glider.

BOT Machine
Step by Step instructions
Installing a Camshaft in your Evolution motor

• Here are step-by-step instructions for the installation of a camshaft in a Harley-Davidson Big Twin engine.
  • Disconnect electrical power from bike by removing negative (ground) cable at the battery
  • Remove spark plugs
  • Remove air cleaner and air cleaner backing
  • Remove exhaust system
  • Remove Ignition cover. scribe a mark on the plate and on the inside of the nose cone to help get the timing set when the bike is put back together
  • If Needed (if you have a Carlini Torque Arm), Drain the oil from the transmission, Loosen the foot peg or brake pedal, Remove the Transmission cover
  • Remove the pushrod tubes. If you still have stock pushrods cut them out with bolt cutters or Drain Gas, Remove gas tank, Remove Rocker Box Covers, Remove Push rods, Mark push rods location when the are removed
  • Remove ignition sensor or module. Remove timing cup.
  • Remove nose cone. Use rubber or polyurethane hammer to gently tap the cover loose. You may have to use a screwdriver to "gently" pry the cover off the alignment pins
  • Note the location of the camshaft. Locate the timing marks on the cam and the pinion gear. Align the marks before you remove the old cam. With the back wheel raised off the ground, You can rotate the engine by placing the transmission in 5th gear, then rotating the rear wheel until the desired engine position is reached

• Carefully remove the cam by raising the lifters out of the way. The lifters can be:

1. Removed, marking their position to make sure they are installed in the same position.
  2. Removed and replaced with new lifters. Recommended if lifters are pre-1996 or have more than 20,000 miles on them. Harley-Davidson OEM lifters are fine for all street applications
  3. Left in place using the tool provided in a cam installation kit
  4. Left in place by allow alternating lifters to prevent each other from falling out
  • Remove breather and washer
  • Remove camshaft thrust washer
  • Remove old cam bearing. Use any small inside bearing or bushing puller to remove the cam bearing. Replace the old cam bearing with a new Torrington B-138. Do not use a late model H-D OEM bearing with any performance camshaft. The old camshaft can be used as alignment tool and press for installation of the new bearing. Make sure the cam bearing is pressed completely into the engine case.
  • Make sure the pinion gear timing mark is pointed straight up. If you have calipers, measure length of old cam from front timing gear to forward most area of cam rear bearing area. Measure new cam. Difference should be between .050 and .060 inches. If no caliper available to measure with, install a .055 cam shim at rear of cam. This is generally the correct cam shim to install.
  • Place the thrust washer on the cam at the bearing end. Place a coating of assembly lubricant on the camshaft lobes, bearing, bushing areas and camshaft gear. This will protect the camshaft and lifters during engine start up. If you do not have assembly lube, use synthetic motor oil as a substitute.
  • If the lifters are being replaced in the engine, remove the old lifters and insert the new engine lifters. If your engine is not new than 1996 or has over 10,000 miles on the current lifters, it is recommended that lifters be replaced. The new style Harley-Davidson hydraulic lifters are fine for a street or street-strip engines.
  • Carefully replace camshaft by raising lifters and moving cam into place. Make sure camshaft alignment mark matches with mark on pinion gear. This job is much easier when using a lifter holding tool like those available from Crane Cams, Screamin Eagle or JIM'S.
  • Replace breather, making sure alignment marks on breather and cam gear line up. Place nylon washer on end of breather.
  • Replace nosecone gasket.
  • Depending on age of bike or mileage, replacement of camshaft bushing and camshaft oil seal in nose come should be considered.
  • Carefully replace the nosecone cover. Replace the nosecone cover bolts and tighten to the proper torque.
  • If you are going to reuse the stock push rods, install the push rods in the proper order, replace the rocker box cover and tighten all bolts to the proper torque
or
Install the Time Saver/adjustable push rods. Replace the rocker box cover and tighten all bolts to the proper torque. Adjust the push rods according the the supplied instructions.​
  • Install the timing cup on the end of the cam and carefully tighten the bolt. Do not over tighten.
  • Replace the timing sensor plate. Remember to align your scribed mark on the timing sensor plate with the mark in the nosecone cover. Tighten the timing sensor plate in the proper place.
  • Carefully check all your work. Replace spark plugs, plug wires and any other items that may have been disconnected or loosened. You may not believe it, but the engine can be fired at this point. Go through your normal cold start procedures. If you were careful, the engine should come to life with very little effort.

Source: nightrider.com

does the B-138 bearing need to be pressed in or can it be gently tapped in using the old cam?

Hello Jiggy,
I just replaced the cam in my Evo.I purchased the removal and instal tools from Georges Garage for bearing replacement.And that tool presses the bearing in. But I have seen advertised a tool that has a punch attached to it that allows you to tap it in.The bearing I purchased had a flat side and a domed side.I fitted it with the flat side out.
The bearing sits under flush. If you need to Know I can measure the tool I have.But as Mr. Data recommends, knocking the bearing home will ensure it's in it's right location.
Also as Mr. Data says in the assembly procedure. Make certain that the breather washer is on the breather and not lying under a rag on the floor. Nearly a blooper.:D
Hope that helps
Brian

Check the end play and use the lifter alignment tool to finish the job right:s

Going at it blind, and I must be addicted to the pain... had the cam out of my bike. I did roll it over to see how the timing marks were aligned before takign it out, I merely lined up the dot on teh cam gear and the coined line on the crank gear when I reinstalled the cam. Apparently this is not how to do it?? How do I get the timing now that I had it apart? Also are the push rods (exhaust and intake) different lengths?? It appears that the valves are hanging open... I know I am an idiot :29: but how do I get this timed back up???

Back