free website stats program Replacing Regulator on '71 xlch | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Regulator on '71 xlch

I am trying to replace my regulator. I am not familiar with electrical issues at all. I am just wondering if the way it is currently connected is correct before I just connect the new one in the same way. The reason I am concerned is that on the instructions for replacing the regulator it says to disconnect and mark the wires from the 61 terminal. There are no wires connected there though. There are two running to the D+, one to the DF, and two to the B+. I can post pictures, but if someone knows what am I talking about and can tell me if it sounds correct, then i will go with it.

Is your bike looks like a XLH but the way your discribing the wires it sounds like a XLCH, let me know if your bike is a H or CH and I'll scan the wiring diagram for you, should be easy to check.

It has to be a XLCH everything is as you described ecept you have a extra wire hooked to the B+, someone might have just hooked in there to supply power to someplace else.
1971XLCH.jpg

Dont forget to flash the generator, any time you cut battery power with a generator system always reflash

Jacks right, don't know if you've Polarized a Generator before so here's (A blast from the Past) a old Franks install with instructions for Polarizing.
PolarizeGenerator.jpg

Yea, I keep that kinda stuff with my old flat head tool's.
I have to go now, I'm feeling kinda old.

Thanks for the help guys! I will have the time to get to it first thing monday morning. Then I'll go for a nice long ride. Hoping to not get stuck in the desert again with a dead battery!!

Back