free website stats program Replacing Levers | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Levers

glider.

BOT Machine
I've seen this question asked a few times so thought it would be a good info post.

Start by slacking off the clutch cable slack adjuster at the bar end, from there you can remove the "C" clip that holds the pivot pin in place which is underneath the perch. They fly away quite nicely so watch where it goes.
Remove the pivot pin and watch for any anti rattle devices that may be in place so you don't loose them noting their location.
After the pin is out, you grab the lever and pull the slack out of the cable as if you are trying to activate the clutch assembly in the primary,then rotate the lever through the slot in the perch to remove it. From there you can see how the cable is held in place in the lever and remove it.

Reverse this to reinstall adding a bit of grease to the pivot points, perch rub points and possibly some cable lube in the clutch cable while you're in there..

The brake side is a bit different...

Remove the pivot pin much the same way as the other side but here you have to be careful not to break the brake light switch which is tucked up in the perch area.
What I find works well when reinstalling the new handle is to come into the perch area from the end of the bar angle so you contact the switch head on and install the pivot pin this way. It minimizes the possibility of breaking the brake light switch. Always be gentle when first trying the action of the new handle to be assured that the handle is contacting the switch properly to avoid breaking it. If you feel any binding, recheck the installation before going any further.
Again a dab of grease on the pivot pin will make things work smoothly.

There are also reduced reach levers available for some who have a small hand.

Adjustable Levers :: OBERON Performance Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Also see this post...

Replacing Levers - Harley Davidson Community

..... ... ... remove the "C" clip that ... .. ... ... ..
' They fly away quite nicely so watch where it goes '

:lolrolling oh I love the way that was worded and so true.

I'm never that good at watching them ' fly away ' so I have to use the perfect size pin for them in my pliers. I have all the various size pins and if you get the right size pin they usually will stay in the pliers while you remove them.

And don't buy these pins at HF ( I love HF ) those tend to break too much. I bought a very good and strong set at Sears.

Back