free website stats program Replacing brake and clutch levers? | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing brake and clutch levers?

robertc

I bought new chrome clutch and brake levers for my 08 ultra. Before I attempt to install myself I thought I would ask the forum on any advice or tips before I get into trouble.

I bought new chrome clutch and brake levers for my 08 ultra. Before I attempt to install myself I thought I would ask the forum on any advice or tips before I get into trouble.

Have you got a HD Factory Service Manual or did the levers come with some good instructions?

The clutch side is a piece of cake. Just collapse the cable adjuster first so you have more play. And don't lose the snap ring when you take it off unless they give you a new one in the kit. While you have all that going on, you might want to consider adjusting the clutch anyway.

On the brake side, make sure you follow the book with the spacer as directed. Otherwise you may be fiddling around trying to get the light to work properly! See here:

Brake Light INOP - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I haven't bought the service manual yet...
So far this forum has been more helpful than the manual would be.
Besides I get to buy more goodies like control levers instead of the manual. Just kidding..."kind of"
I will eventually get a manual, but seriously you guy's on this forum are very helpful. I love coming to this site and reading about the various posts. Always courteous and knowledgeable information to be found. NO DRAMA like on other sites.
Regarding my lever install. It seems pretty easy to do, I was most concerned about the front brake lever and if a spring might fly out at me or something fall out that I don't see prior to removing snap ring and bolt.

Thanks for the info. I haven't bought the service manual yet...
So far this forum has been more helpful than the manual would be.

Send Gary12850 a pm about a manual. He will get you set up.

TQ

Send Gary12850 a pm about a manual. He will get you set up.

TQ

If your just changing the levers its a cake walk just be easy on the brake side so as not to break the switch

And you need a real small pair of snap ring pliers for the clutch side collapse the cable all the way when you start on the clutch

Thanks all,
The install was easy and only took a short while to do. I ordered my manual through Gary as well. However, I will probably still rely on this forum more than I will the manual. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back