free website stats program replacing battery cable | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing battery cable

fcasa

Figures, the best day of the year so far and my 2000 sportster custom breaks down.The speedo was all over the place so I went back home.I thought a battery connection had come loose but found the +wire broke at the starter.Is it possible to change it without removing any hoses around it? I removed the battery holder but it doesn't help.What is the easiest way to remove it.Thanks in advance

My +battery cable broke at the solonoid.Is there an easy way to remove it without having to remove any other things around it.Will an ordinary wrench do the trick.There is hardly any space.2000 1200 custom with samson pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fcasa, glad you got it sorted, sorry that I did not catch your post early on, but the heavy primary cables are usually fairly simple to service, but sometimes access to fasteners may be too tight to swing a wrench forcing you to remove unrelated parts that may be in the way to gain clear access. HD primary wiring fasteners are usually SAE, but you will need metric wrench set as well, and as always disconnect the battery and pull main fuse before working on your bike, especially newer models to avoid 110dB automatic alarm activation

I am not familiar with your 2000, so I did not want to give you misinformation...or discourage you; but on my 2004 it is a fairly difficult to get access to the starter cable fastener. I actually had to do the following:

1) pull the side cover, 2) pull the main fuse, 3) disconnect the battery terminal wires, 4) loosen rear exhaust heat shield, then remove the rear exhaust pipe, 5) remove belt sprocket cover to gain access to a bolt holding a bracket in order to move the hoses out of the way. 6) Finally got access to both the bolt and the small connector plugin.

I do not want to discourage you...but needless to say you will need patience and work carefully, perhaps take some pictures, use the official HD manual (it will pay for itself the first time you use it) and actually save you a ton of money in the long run, along with using tips and suggestions you will read on the HDTalkng website. You will get to know how to work on your bike doing these "simple" routines first. Hopefully your bike was a lot easier to access without removing nearly as much stuff. Cheers Bro' you earned it! :newsmile048:

Last edited:
Back