free website stats program replacing back tire | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing back tire

titan307

im one thats likes to do everything myself and i am close to needing a new rear tire. i have been thru the self help section and looked and watched many youtube videos about replacing tire on rim but have not found any that show how to re-install the new tire and rim back on the bike.

I came from the metric side with a drive shaft and those are very simple. this is my first Harley and it is belt driven.

Is there anyhting special about putting the tire back on the bike? measuring,alignments parts that should be replaced anytime your remove tires. (like on the wifes BMW, you have to use new bolts each time you undo, fix or replace something because the bolts are aluminum and not re-usable)

Anything else i should look at or take care of while the wheel is off?

any special tools?

Are you talking about taking the tire off the wheel and replacing it yourself? Typically I will remove the wheel myself but take the wheel to a local indy for the actual tire swap. I'm not saying it cant be done by yourself but when you consider the balancing and everything else I'd say your probably better off to let a pro with proper equipment do it.

I always change my own tyres and have not needed any special tools although my bikes are all evo's a softail dyna and sportster take your time removing the rear wheel and take note of where the spacers go i always dismount the brake caliper and pads just to give a wee bit more room on my bikes i can remove the wheel pin without moving the adjusters and put the wheel back on and all is lined up

Brian

A few things I always do. Open service manual to appropriate section (disregard if you don't have one YET:)) I measure belt deflection before I loosen anything. I mark belt adjusters position. I Use a sharpie to mark L & R spacers, they are different lengths. One spacer may have a groove around it, groove goes in.
Whether removing brake caliper or not, I jam 1/2 of a spring type clothespin between the pads, they want to close up naturally. It's worth taking a muffler off if it's even a little in the way. The bike doesn't have to be real high, you can angle the tire in. Make SURE bike is stable on lift. Check wheel bearings for roughness or excessive play.
TAKE your time, it will go smoother.

Last edited:
im one thats likes to do everything myself and i am close to needing a new rear tire. i have been thru the self help section and looked and watched many youtube videos about replacing tire on rim but have not found any that show how to re-install the new tire and rim back on the bike.

I came from the metric side with a drive shaft and those are very simple. this is my first Harley and it is belt driven.

Is there anyhting special about putting the tire back on the bike? measuring,alignments parts that should be replaced anytime your remove tires. (like on the wifes BMW, you have to use new bolts each time you undo, fix or replace something because the bolts are aluminum and not re-usable)

Anything else i should look at or take care of while the wheel is off?

any special tools?

I also would like to replace rear tire on my bike. Post details when you do it.

One spacer may have a groove around it, groove goes in.

Breeze, Have you figured out the deal on that groove yet? If going by the service manual, what you say is true,,, but why? I have studied that spacer and groove and could only come up for a reason about the groove if your bike is pre-sealed bearing.

I think on our bikes (sealed bearings), the groove position is not important.?? I just don't see a reason for it on post sealed bearing.
What's your take on it.

I also would like to replace rear tire on my bike. Post details when you do it.

The first time I did it, I spent about $200 in tools. But from then on, it's about free to do it. You need a few quality tire spoons ($45). Half dozen nylon rim protectors ($30) and a quality balancer ($120). You can make yourself a home made bead breaker if one of your cars has a trailer hitch receiver on the back of it.

For me it was worth it because I hate taking items to a shop and then going back to pick them up.

Back