free website stats program Replacement Brake Pads for Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacement Brake Pads for Heritage

Bikergeek

Anyone have a quick and easy way to determine if brake pads are worn to the point they need replacement?

I'm sure most of you would probably recommend using Harley Davidson OEM brake pads for replacements, but I am curious to know if anyone has used other brands to replace worn brakes and were 100% satisfied with the other brand. I am looking to replace the pads with something as close as possible to the OEM. I think the OEM pads are considered "organic". That's what I want. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Would all agree the Harley brake pads are probably more expensive than another brand or are the Harley brake pad competitively priced?

What brands and where have you purchased brake pads?

My 08 Heritage has brand new Hawk organics on it bought from J&P. They work fine... but so do many others. In my opinion, if you are concerned about your brake pads for the beginning of the season, just replace them. Not that much money and worth not worrying about it while you are rolling down the highway.

This is from service manaul for my 07 touring bike Brakes
"BRAKE PADS AND DISCS
Inspect the brake pads and discs as follows:
Brake Pads
If brake pad friction material is worn to 0.04 inch (1.02 mm) or
less, replace the entire set of pads.
111WWAARRNNININGG
Always replace brake pads in complete sets for correct
and safe brake operation. Improper brake operation
could result in death or serious injury. (00111a)
Brake Discs
The minimum brake disc thickness is stamped on the side of
the disc.
When checking the brake pads and discs, inspect the brake
lines and hoses for damage or leaks." Here is a good old post by SMITTY

The specs Jack has given match what is in my 08 Softail Service Manual as well.

I just ordered my 2nd set of Lyndall Pads ($39.96 + shipping) from Mark @ M&M Cycles. I can say I am quite happy with the performance of these pads over stock. Quieter, cleaner and better braking than OEM. Glider was right again :D

+1 on Lyndall pads. Changed rears out at about 1000 miles (yes,1000) because of dirting/dusting up rear wheel. HUGE difference on dust, better feel at pedal also.
wilks3

Me and a couple of friends are using Lyndall pads. Quiet, low dust and good stopping. I get mine from EasternPC on ebay. $116 for all 3 sets shipped.

I'll be putting on the Lyndall pads when I have to replace the factory ones. I'll be getting them from Chopper who is a dealer for them now.

A couple of weeks ago I went to my dealership to purchase brake pads. I planned on buying HD pads since I was at an HD dealer I figured that was all they had. To my surprise they asked me if I wanted the HD or aftermarket. They said the aftermarket pads are half the price and they have had no complaints from them. I figured what the heck and saved the extra money on the aftermarket ones. I've put about 500 miles on them so far and they seem to work just fine for me. No complaints yet.

Back