free website stats program Replacement Air Breather | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacement Air Breather

ngjandm

Well, 8 months after installing my V&H V02 Naked breather, I hear this rattling for a bit, turns out the thread component on the main air filter sheered off, so the stock cover, seemed as though it would fall off, but in fact, it was still tightly bolted, but was rattling be cause the thread was no longer attached to the main filter housing. I assume that it's possible I tightened the cover too much and over time, the vibration caused it to break. Well V&H only warranties for 90 days. So no I have to choose to replace it with something else, between Kuryaken and K&N, anything new seems to run about $250 and up. not sure if I'm ready to pay that, other than bolting the cover back on and living for the rattle for a bit, I suspect I don't have many choices, I don't think I want to ride without the cover, as foreign objects and dirt can get through the hole in the middle where the threading is.

If you could post some pix of the problem maybe we can come up with a solution.

Well, 8 months after installing my V&H V02 Naked breather, I hear this rattling for a bit, turns out the thread component on the main air filter sheered off, so the stock cover, seemed as though it would fall off, but in fact, it was still tightly bolted, but was rattling be cause the thread was no longer attached to the main filter housing. I assume that it's possible I tightened the cover too much and over time, the vibration caused it to break. Well V&H only warranties for 90 days. So no I have to choose to replace it with something else, between Kuryaken and K&N, anything new seems to run about $250 and up. not sure if I'm ready to pay that, other than bolting the cover back on and living for the rattle for a bit, I suspect I don't have many choices, I don't think I want to ride without the cover, as foreign objects and dirt can get through the hole in the middle where the threading is.

Have you checked with V & H to see what their warranty is and maybe they had a bad run of covers?

was away for the weekend. will get a pic on here later on tonight. I did contact V+H, but so far, no response. Might have to actually call them vs. sending and email.

I sent them an email last week and it was somewhere between 3-5 days before I got a response back. If you need a response back quicker I would call them especially if it was, or is, a warranty item.

This is not a real good parts dia, but can you tell us what part is broken?Vance & Hines Naked VO2 Air Intake - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

on the filter itself, in the middle is where the air cleaner stock cover bolts on. the thread is built right into the metal housing. the section of the bolt sheared off of the metal housing but is still on the inside of the filter. so I can still thread the bolt and cover on and it will hold, however, it will rattle, because the thread piece is no longer connected to the housing. I may not be able to get a photo tonight, but hopefully I've detailed it correctly.

Here is a pic. guess a picture says a thousand words. :)

Attachments

• VH Breather Problem 800x600.jpg
    VH Breather Problem 800x600.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 53
Wow, that's some bad damage from 8 months of use.

If you are looking to replace it with another naked breather, I know Arlen Ness makes several different models that are under the $200 range. Search for Arlen Ness Big Sucker Performance Air Cleaner. Or check Dennis Kirk, they have a basic system similar to the V&H for $143 that will fit your scoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic. guess a picture says a thousand words. :)

I know you can just buy the filter (about $60), and I don't know how handy you are with hand tools. If it were me I would buy a small piece of 1/8" aluminum and bolt it over the center of the filter. Drill a hole where the mounting nut was and from the inside JB weld another steel washer and nut the same size as the AC cover bolt.

Back