free website stats program Replaced starter and engine cranks really hard if even at all | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced starter and engine cranks really hard if even at all

Mathnap

Just replaced my starter and now my engine barely cranks if even at all, take the spark plugs out and it cranks good put the plugs back in and barely cranks. I also replaced the gaskets on my rocker boxes but on the rear cylinder i had to Compress the rear valve spring a bit to get the lower rocker box off, is it possible that I bent the valve stem and not the engine is tying up? Also just replaced the battery. Any ideas please help

Just replaced my starter and now my engine barely cranks if even at all, take the spark plugs out and it cranks good put the plugs back in and barely cranks. I also replaced the gaskets on my rocker boxes but on the rear cylinder i had to Compress the rear valve spring a bit to get the lower rocker box off, is it possible that I bent the valve stem and not the engine is tying up? Also just replaced the battery. Any ideas please help

Welcome to the Forum, you surely could now have a bent valve, run a compression test next

Just replaced my starter and now my engine barely cranks if even at all,

The way it is worded it sounds like your engine cranked fine, up until the old starter completely failed. But once the starter was replaced, it developed a totally new problem which is the engine now cranks slow or not at all.

In other words.... Was the engine cranking slow,, so you replaced the starter and now you still have a slow cranking engine.

Also, the starter that you installed, was it brand new or was it rebuilt by a starter shop? If brand new, which brand did you install.

You are right, engine ran and cranked fine before I replaced the starter. Starter is a brand new Spyke Starter from J&P Cycle and the battery is a brand new AGM Battery from J&P Cycle. Any ideas????

It sounds like you replaced the battery & starter at exactly the same time.
An induction amp probe would really come in handy right now but I doubt you have one.

Try placing a voltmeter directly across the battery while you are cranking the engine. If the voltage starts out at ~12.7 and drops like a rock (down to 8-9 volts) as soon as you start to crank the engine, the battery is probably low on a charge or is new defective. If the voltage stays high (above 11.5) while the engine is cranking slow, the starter is probably new defective.
Knowing what the current draw is would really help to figure out where the problem was. If you do have access to an amp-probe, measure the current during that slow cranking period of time. If the current draw is way over the top during cranking (greater than 200 amps), something is wrong with the new starter.

Having the Same problem here...the Slow if at all crank with the plugs on ...but cranking just fine with out the plus... Just wondering where did you end up at with your problem?

Back