free website stats program Replace Grips | Harley Davidson Forums

Replace Grips

Dr.Evil

I just replaced the grips on my '05 STC
Is there an easy way to get the throttle cable on the handle? I had to force the brass anchor in with plyers and kinda boogered up the handle (inside) a little. No issues and it works fine, just thought I would ask.

Yes, the smart thing would have been to ask before I started. I am expecting to feel foolish.

+1 on what Glider said. Also be careful with the front brake switch when putting it back together.

Yes, be sure your brake light works properly when finished. The housing has to contact the brake switch just right to work. I put a little bit of grease inside my throttle grip when I installed it just to keep it smooth. It was binding just a little at first and a thin coat of grease eliminated that. And definitely add some slack to the throttle cables or you'll bugger them up forcing the brass thingy into the hole.

You also will have to take air cleaner off so you can see the throttle blade. You hold hand throttle wide open and adjust cable until you have throttle blade also wide open.
Adjust the throttle blade to barely touch the throttle stop on carb/TBI.
Then adjust the return cable, leave alittle slack so you have some play at hand grip.
The HD shop that installed my grips didn't adjust the throttle like your supposed to and at wide open throttle, I only had about 70% throttle.
wilks3
:USA

Back