free website stats program Repacking Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Repacking Bearings

cchrstcon

New to the site and finaly owning a Harley, have already learned alot from all the post's thank you very much. How often do the bearings need to be repacked? Have an 02 Fatboy 5000 mile tune up done at 4700 just before I bought it and now it has 10,700 with me doing a oil change at 8200. Do they repack bearings on 5000 mile tune up from dealership?

New to the site and finaly owning a Harley, have already learned alot from all the post's thank you very much. How often do the bearings need to be repacked? Have an 02 Fatboy 5000 mile tune up done at 4700 just before I bought it and now it has 10,700 with me doing a oil change at 8200. Do they repack bearings on 5000 mile tune up from dealership?

Not sure which bearings you are referring to. I believe the wheel bearings on your bike are sealed bearing. If you are talking about the neck bearings, there should be a Zerk fitting on the neck that allows lubrication to those bearings.

Check this out:

2002 Harley-Davidson Softail Fat Boy FLSTF OEM Parts, 2002 Harley-Davidson Softail Fat Boy FLSTF OEM Replacement Parts - BikeBandit.com

TQ

Last edited:
What would be nice is if the posters would give more details if they want an accurate answer instead of having to ask many questions to get the background on the problem that is happening or questions being asked.

Here's the maintenance schedules for the different bikes, whether your dealer adheres to them or not is difficult to tell. Some give it a quick once over and wash and others do the job as it should be done.

Maintenance Schedules For Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks TQuentin1 you were right they are sealed wheel bearings, like I said new to it all. Thanks for the link Glider, sorry I wasn't more specific and said wheel bearings but it is in the wheels thread.

Replace them anyway every few tires, they are cheap and your life is worth it. I lost a front wheel bearing at about 70 mph (not sealed). Still here but learned to replace them evey few tires (repack every tire).

Replace them anyway every few tires, they are cheap and your life is worth it. I lost a front wheel bearing at about 70 mph (not sealed). Still here but learned to replace them evey few tires (repack every tire).

If you have open bearings, you should replace both the bearings and the races as a matched set. The races are an interference fit (pressed in).

With sealed bearings, they are an interference fit also. Won't hurt to replace them every 50kmiles or so. Might be overkill, but I agree that loosing a wheel bearing is not too bueno!!

TQ

Back