free website stats program Removing the baffels in a fuel injected bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing the baffels in a fuel injected bike

GimmeFuel

I know that if there is a change in the exhaust or air-intake on a fuel injected bike, the fuel injection is simply reprogrammed. What would need to be done if I simply removed the baffels from stock exhaust pipes?

Removing the baffles would essentially be the same as changing exhaust. Maybe even closer to drag pipes which may not perform how you want. As far as reprogramming you may want to consider adding a Dobeck EJK unit.

I know that if there is a change in the exhaust or air-intake on a fuel injected bike, the fuel injection is simply reprogrammed. What would need to be done if I simply removed the baffels from stock exhaust pipes?

If your bike is stock the way it came from the factory it is already running very lean. If you remove the baffles or add a free flowing air filter it will run even leaner. You could add a fueler to richen up the air fuel ratio. The new Gen3 will be easy to install and adjustable for any future mods you might make. You also get a discount for being a member of the forum.

Re: Removing the baffles in a fuel injected bike

In the old days when you could just drill out the baffles and go with no problem alot of guys did that. Now days if you would perform the same thing on a newer bike, you are going to basically make your machine useless, let alone sound terrible. Save you money and do it the right way and purchase slip ons. It is recommended that any exhaust over 1.75" baffle needs to have a fueler installed to correct leanness from severely hurting engine.. May I ask why you would want to just remove baffles?????

I for one would not remove the baffles , that's the way we did it back in the old days but with the newer FI engines we have today you really need the back pressure the baffles provide . Slip on aren't that expensive and you can even find some good used ones on ebay or craig's list . Then when you have the cash buy the Dobeck EFI and you'll really feel the difference . Harleys that run stright or drag pipes just don't sound right , but yes they are lowd .

Removing baffles only makes you think the bike is running better because it's noisier. In reality, if you were to measure the power, you would find it's down from where it was with baffles installed and the mixture would be leaned out from where it was which is the main problem.

We're talking a street bike here and not a race bike.

My experience. I got my '05 Softail late last year. It had V&H long shots, but no baffles. After research on this site I bought baffles and put them in. The bike runs cooler, gets better mileage, and a lot of the decel popping went away. It sounds better and is more quiet as well, but still a bit loud for my taste. I used to get comments like, "man that bike is loud". After the baffles I now hear, "nice sounding Harley".

In the old days when you could just drill out the baffles and go with no problem alot of guys did that. Now days if you would perform the same thing on a newer bike, you are going to basically make your machine useless, let alone sound terrible. Save you money and do it the right way and purchase slip ons. It is recommended that any exhaust over 1.75" baffle needs to have a fueler installed to correct leanness from severely hurting engine.. May I ask why you would want to just remove baffles?????

My current ride is an '04 carb fat boy and it had the baffles removed before I got it. It's more throaty than the stock harley pipes. Maybe I'm just used to the sound and like it. The sock bike I'm looking at (2012 FI fatboy) is quieter than my current ride. So, I have the idea that Harleys with stock pipes are not loud at all. Also, the sales guys told me that slip-ons wouldn't work with stock pipes.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on everything I've said, here. Anybody?

My current ride is an '04 carb fat boy and it had the baffles removed before I got it. It's more throaty than the stock harley pipes. Maybe I'm just used to the sound and like it. The sock bike I'm looking at (2012 FI fatboy) is quieter than my current ride. So, I have the idea that Harleys with stock pipes are not loud at all. Also, the sales guys told me that slip-ons wouldn't work with stock pipes.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on everything I've said, here. Anybody?

Thats funny considering they offer them?

Screamin' Eagle Shotgun | Harley-Davidson USA

I've gone the opposite route... Left my pipes stock, after 17k miles it's really starting to sound fairly nice to me. I know that nobody has a problem riding behind me. Don't get me wrong, as I love how some Harleys sound, I don't see how some can stand riding without baffles.

Back