free website stats program Removing Stripped Bolts From Derby Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Stripped Bolts From Derby Cover

glider.

BOT Machine
This problem arises because most torx kits do not come with a #27 bit in them and a #25 is used by mistake. They must be purchased seperately.

Easiest way to eliminate this problem is to use the #27 Torx bit to remove these fasteners, while many use a #25 by mistake, it fits sloppy and usually ends up striping the head of the bolt, but for now you can use a drill that is slightly larger by a size or two than the shaft of one of the bolts you have already removed and drill the head (s) off the stripped screws. Drill only the head off and when it pops off, then move on to the next one. Once you have taken the heads off the striped ones and removed the others, the cover comes right off, and then you can usually remove the ones that you drilled the heads off with your fingers from the back end of the bolt, unscrewing it out the front as usual. This method eliminates the possibility of doing damage to the cover itself. Real easy and it works most every time. Good luck.

Very true. I just did exactly this to 2 screw heads. Mistakenly used a 25 Torx.
I used a "Grabit" screw remover for one. The other didn't respond to the "Grabit" or a set of "Easy Outs". Ended up doing exactly what Mr. Data suggests. Then just now found this post. Great advice Mr. Data.
Try the Grabit, they're handy for lots of messed up screw heads.

those are all good ways ......if your in a pickle and need to get this done and you dont have any of the above tools you can and i have done this before, a lot of times, a lot of times they will strip with a #27 also....they get gualded (sp?) and are hard to get loose, you can use a chisel and hammer by putting it at an angle and tapping it a few times,just watch the chisel don't hit the cover

Ran into this once and only had a few tools (no drills or chisels) go up one size over, take hammer and tap as you hold pressure on the wrench.
Be patient and eventually it will come loose. Took me 45 min. to get two out, but in a pinch it works.

Also, after you remove the torx screws, another good switch is to get some hex, or regular bolts to replace stock ones. I went w/SS hex screws & painted the ends black.

Also, after you remove the torx screws, another good switch is to get some hex, or regular bolts to replace stock ones. I went w/SS hex screws & painted the ends black.

I for got to mention that. I changed mine out to SS Allen screws.

And now I find this....did just what was mentioned & have the grabit ready to go, but at least now I have a back up method...thxs for this thread

Back