free website stats program Removing rear Wheel on EGS | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing rear Wheel on EGS

tlyoungb

I am getting ready to replace the tires on my 05 EGS. On he Electra Glide, do you have to remove the mufflers on both sides or do you have to remove them at all.

The right muffler is in the way of the axle in order to pull it out. You can drop the shock bolts to drop the swing arm down a bit so the muffler can stay on. Just as easy to pull the muffler IMO

Well I have the service manual for my 05, but it was not very clear or did not show any photos of how the wheel came off. It was all word base. The manual states that you have to remove both mufflers. I went out side and looked and I just don't see why you would have to remove both of them. Is there a better illistration of how to perform such a task?

Well before I removed the wheel, I marked a spot on the swingarm and the adjuster cam. I put everything back just like it was. Is that enough
Ok. I got the rear tire off and put back on. Now my next question is how do you align the rear wheel with the rest of the bike. I can't find anything about vertical alignment, but how about the Horz. alignment.

Well before I removed the wheel, I marked a spot on the swingarm and the adjuster cam. I put everything back just like it was. Is that enough
Ok. I got the rear tire off and put back on. Now my next question is how do you align the rear wheel with the rest of the bike. I can't find anything about vertical alignment, but how about the Horz. alignment.

TL,

Does your rear axle not have the cam lobes on both sides to adjust the belt tension? If so, you just snug up the nut on the right side and then turn the left side until you get the proper belt tension. Then tighten up and torque the nut, put on the keeper and you are done.

TQ

The 05 had the older style adjusters. I think the 07 was the first year of the cam type adjusters.

Hmm. Learn something new. My '03 UC has the welded on lobe on the left side, and the "keyed" or profiled lobe on the right. I assumed that was the case on all the EG based models. Now I know better. There ya go!!

TQ

Yea. It has the one lob welded to the axel on one side, and the other lobe is keyed on the other side.

Looks like you were right TQ. Didn't know they went back tat far with that adjuster. Live and learn:s

Just about to change the first rear tire on my O6 EG ultra and it has the cams on both sides. I have 11,900 miles on the original tire and just purchased one just like it. Hope I get the same results twice.

A couple of Questions;

1) Belt tension? I don't have a HD pressure scale, but it seems that a measurement before/after would effectivey do the same thing, (I have the bike on a lift with the the frame supported front/rear on sissor jacks.

2) the bike has 11, 900 miles; other then spinning the bearings with my finger in inner race, (assuming I feel now binding) do I need to do anything else (like removing and repacking??)

3) I am planning on replacing the brake fluid (haven't checked pad thickness yet) is there a minimum thinkness other then not "gone", and is there any recomendation for better pads (assuming I am keeping the factory rotors??)_

Thanks,

Tim-

Back