free website stats program removing old fuel using fuel efi pump ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

removing old fuel using fuel efi pump ??

Is there a way of using the fuel pump to siphon the gas out of a tank ?

You would either have to pull the convoluted tubing off of the tank exit fitting nipple, or off the pump and use another piece of tubing in its place. I think it is just easier to get a new clean section of clear tubing and put one end in the tank. Suck on the other end until the gas starts down the tubing and stuff it in a gas can.

TQ

Assume that you are planning to remove the tank? Get a quick disconnect fitting for the cross over line. Use hose clamp pliers (the plastic ones work) to clamp the cross over near the tank nipples and cut the cross over line in the middle. Remove the tank and pour the fuel into a gas can. If there is not much fuel, I have placed the tank vertically in a cardboard box to install the quick disconnect fitting. Once installed, the fuel will not leak out. Once the quick disonnect is in place, you won't have to deal with fuel in the tank for future removal.

If you are not removing the tank and just fuel, siphon like previously advised.

TQ has got you covered, but I would use a self priming bulb siphon hose you can get from boating supply or your local Kragen's Auto, just a little healthier and no I do not like breathing or tasting gasoline...:small3d023:

If you drained the tank like this on a regular basis, you could also get the male half of the fitting where the fuel hose couples to the tank and just plug it in there and turn on the key. This would also not drain out any debris in the tank because it is filtered .

Screaming Eagle was just looking to drain the tank, using the fuel pump system to drain, so I guess the real question is, why would you want to given the potential for spillage and putting ANY wrench to anything for so basic an operation seems odd anyway. :small3d023:

Why not just use a siphon hose with self priming bulb. If it, your tank and gas are fine, then transferirng it to a clean clear container makes the most sense, so you can inspect what your taking out without disturbing anything else. Once the 30lbs or so of fuel is out, you can do with the near empty tank what you will.

Just don't take a smoke afterwards...:rofl

I ended up just siphoning the gas out using a small hand pump. I just figured maybe there was a way of disconnecting the line and opening up the ignition, but i hadnt realized that it has some type of pressure valve that needs to be connected to the other end of it. oh well,

Back