free website stats program Removing my Harley from 6 year storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing my Harley from 6 year storage

velimirmkd

What was supposed to be a 2 year relocation to Sydney Australia, turned out to be 8.
Anyway, 2 kids later and a move back to my home country of Macedonia, I'm ready to get my bike out of storage.
Its a custom - rigid frame with a Dyna Evo 1998 1340cc carburetor.
Its been 6 years since I've done any work on it. I even forget what I did to prepare it for storage back then, but I remember that I was draining the gas tank and putting some oil directly into the engine.
I'm replacing the tires, the engine oil, the oil filter and the battery, but that is where my knowledge stops.
My concern is that I may damage the bike by improperly removing it from its coma.
Does anyone have any tips, guides, step-by-step procedure (willingness to travel to Macedonia and help me :)) for desirable steps that I should follow in order to restore the might and bright of my Harley?

Thanks
Velimir
p.s. I have read the forum posts about winter storage, etc, but what is the procedure to bring it back to life?

OK, back online after my account was suspended for no reason . I had to contact the help desk by raising a ticket to get it restored.

Anyway, thank for the help so far.

It seems there is nothing "special" that I have to do besides the standard stuff to get my bike back on the road.

Hobbit, you mention changing the oil in the forks, is this absolutely necessary (since I've never done it myself)?

Thanks
Vel

Hobbit,

You mention that seals may have to be changed. I agree with this and I will change then as a precaution.

Do you know which exact seals I should be looking and inspecting?

Thanks
Velimir

Back