free website stats program Removing Fatboy instrument panel cover? | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Fatboy instrument panel cover?

durhamBob

I'm sure this should be obvious but it is mystifying me!

How do I get the chrome instrument panel cover off on my recently acquired '92 Fatboy so I can replace the speedo cable? Despite removing the central bolt between the speedo and the on/off switch to free the cover it still won't clear the speedo bezel - I can't see what else I should be doing...

Many thanks,

Bob

ps - the Clymer manual I got doesn't help much

Thanks for trying to help, but I fear I'm still stuck. On my bike there is just a rubber bung blanking a hole on the right off - there is no trip odometer so I guess there is no reset knob. Removing the rubber bung doesn't help... Should I be able to get the speedo bezel off? This seems to be what is stopping me.

cheers,

Bob

The dash has to come off to remove the speedo or bezel. It comes out after removing the fasteners in the rear of the speedo. Could it be the speedo cable hanging up?

Thanks - I'll go and have a look and see if I can identify these fastners. Rougly how do I get at them? I don't seem to have much access to anything under the instrument panel - I've just got between a quarter and a helf an inch of clearance between the bottom of the panel and the tank once I've removed the central bolt on top.

thanks,

Bob

Thanks - I'll go and have a look and see if I can identify these fastners. Rougly how do I get at them? I don't seem to have much access to anything under the instrument panel - I've just got between a quarter and a helf an inch of clearance between the bottom of the panel and the tank once I've removed the central bolt on top.

thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Sometimes I think that a picture (in this case drawing) is worth a thousand words. Check this out:

FUEL TANK - SOFTAIL MODELS - 1992 Harley Davidson FLSTF

Unfortunately, the parts list that is supposed to go with this does not seem to match the numbers on the drawing, but it may still give you an idea what you are looking for.

TQ

Bob, the panel should come off. What you need to do is carefully wiggle the speedo to fit through the hole in the panel. Also, from what I understand you have a plug in the hole where the odometer reset knob should be. Pull it out and make sure there is noting holding it there. Other than that just move the speedo around a little bit while carefully prying the dash till it fits through the hole.

Success!!!

Many thanks - I wiggled and wiggled and wiggled and the panel eventually made it past the speedo. It still looked as if it really shouldn't so I was quite surprised. There were no rear fastners that I could see but I'm sure these things change from year to year. Getting the panel back on was much easier. The rubber plug doesn't interfere with anything so in future it shouldn't need removing (it is also a bit of a pig to get back securely).

thanks again,

Bob

Back