free website stats program Removing Cats | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Cats

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by "hammerhead pat"...

American Custom will either gut your header pipe to remove the cats or give you $180 for yours when you send it back in. I think just buying theirs outright is around $380, then get $180 back.

Interesting concept even with 2 short baffles in the mufflers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked mine up on eBay for $135 shipped no core. The guy does an awesome job of tig welding it back up.
WAP.gif

just use a 1 inch x 16 inch paddle bit to drill out the cat. i have done this on many bikes and you can get all of the material out of the pipe. just take your time running the bit in and out at different angles and it will bust up and you can remove it. the bit is $10 at lowes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394758316.550190.jpg
Went to Lowes and picked up a 1" by 16" long spade bit. I put some thick cardboard on a concrete step outside. My wife sat on the head pipe from my 2012 Ultra and I drilled out the cat. At the end I had to pull out 2 big pieces with a long needle nose pliers. It worked well and only took about 20 minutes just don't plan on using the bit for anything else!

I just don't see how you can remove it all that way. One pipe has a sharp turn to go under the bike, can't get a bit in that area.

The spade bit not only removes material by cutting, but it also catches on it and rips it apart and pulls it off the sides. I was spectacle but thought it can't hurt to try. Maybe I got lucky but the material "around the corner" was pulled off as I was shredding the rest of it.

Guess off to Lowes I go. I have an extra head pipe anyway already off the bike.

67 did you go any further with this yet? Kinda interested in the results of just a decatted header pipe without all of the other changes. I just want the heat gone. Could care less about more horsepower.

Back