free website stats program Removing Cat in 2012 Ultra? | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Cat in 2012 Ultra?

blldzr

Hello,

I have seen where some of this has been addressed but I am looking for responses to the following. I have a 2012 ultra classic bone stock no mods.

1. Does the removal of the cat affect O2 sensors or ECM in any way?
2. Does the removal of cat void warranty?
3. Do I need to add some type of fuel controller after cat removal?
4. I would like to add slip-on's how will this affect performance with cat removal?
5. Would it be best to purchase header pipes with cat already removed and save the stock pipes?

My goal is to have the engine run cooler and to have a better sound with some gain in performance. I am not looking for pure performance just reliability.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Hello,

I have seen where some of this has been addressed but I am looking for responses to the following. I have a 2012 ultra classic bone stock no mods.

1. Does the removal of the cat affect O2 sensors or ECM in any way?
2. Does the removal of cat void warranty?
3. Do I need to add some type of fuel controller after cat removal?
4. I would like to add slip-on's how will this affect performance with cat removal?
5. Would it be best to purchase header pipes with cat already removed and save the stock pipes?

My goal is to have the engine run cooler and to have a better sound with some gain in performance. I am not looking for pure performance just reliability.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

1. Yes. If you remove the cat in a 2012 model, the sensors will start to read a "blend" of the exhaust gases from both cylinders instead of from the designated cylinder. If you want to get rid of the cat, watch Ebay for a "catless" '09 head pipe or look to the aftermarket for a replacement head pipe.
2. Yes.
3. No but it would be adviseable; a good tune will do wonders for a stock or Stage I bike. Some discount the value of a tune for those situations but you will be surprised at the difference a good tune will make.
4.Good slipons like Rush, Cycles Shack, etc. will make a difference with or without the cat.
5. That is a good move; never know when big brother will lay his heavy hand on us.

A 1.6" dia diamond core bit will do a nice job. 14" long, it is deep into it.

Added PC III and Vance & Hines slip ons. HD air cleaner from a CVO and runs like a champ

A 1.6" dia diamond core bit will do a nice job. 14" long, it is deep into it.

Added PC III and Vance & Hines slip ons. HD air cleaner from a CVO and runs like a champ

The core drill/bit will remove the cat but if all the dust and debris is not vacuumed out, some can be sucked into the combustion chamber by a reversion pulse. No immediate damage but if enough gets pulled in, premature cylinder/ring wear can be the results.

Personally, on a 2012 model, leaving the cat in place, throwing on some decent slipons and the SE A/C and tuning with the TTS Mastertune would be the smart way to go. Bike will run better, heat problem gone and that bike will probably out run the catless bike tuned with the PC.

To all dolt ,bluesfan,john deere dr & cromedome the replies are appreciated and welcomed. I knew that the individuals of this forum would give good advice. I am new to fuel injectionand heat issues with harley's. My previous ride was a 1989 FXSTC man do I miss it.

To be clear, Dolt is correct.

I did clean up and inspected w a fiberscope. (Perks are good)

Taped 3/4" PVC (what I had) to the shop vac.

I have the same Bike. Here is the steps I took.
1. Remove the chrome heat shield that covers the cat
2. Take a die grinder and cut a flap in the side of the cat
3. open the flap and start gutting the cat material(take your time)
4. Once the material is gone fold the flap up and weld it up.
5. Add a set of Rush 3.5 Slip ons
6. Of coarse add a EJK 3 tuner from Dobek
7. Last add the Screamin Eagle intake

About $800 worth of work.

Wow what a difference! I've put about 10k on it since the mods and no problems.
Cooler, more HP and better MPG

The guys at Dobek were great in guiding me through the process!

Back