free website stats program Removing boot scuffs from pipes? | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing boot scuffs from pipes?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
Well, my pipes have two nice big black boot scuffs on them. I have chrome cleaner, but that didn't work. Any way to get rid of them?

I've used lacquer thinners to remove them and heard others used easy off oven cleaner, just don't get it on anything else.

I found that Purple Power engine degreaser that ou get at Autozone works well Just spray it on a cold pipe and wait about 4 minutes and hose it off

I used the Easy Off oven cleaner to get stuffs off my pipes and no, don't spray it on ANYTHING else, it's a pain in the rear to get them off, don't ask me how I know ;0).

I used a nickel, yes, the one you have in your pocket. Someone told me this, but I didn't try it until I replaced the stock pipes on a Road Star I used to own. The heel rubber (wife's) had been on the pipes for about four years.

The nickel worked like a charm and didn't leave any mark whatsoever. Took me all of 2-3 minutes to get 4 year old, baked in rubber off the pipes.

Of course, these were the stock pipes I'd just removed as I didn't want to try this until I had decided to remove them. I'd do it again though after the results.

3 times my kids have left Parts of their shoes melted to the exhaust. As soon as I got home I grabbed a wet thick towel and was able to rub all the melted stuff off.

I read on a message board last year that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well, so I tried it and guess what? It worked pretty good! Does take quite a bit if rubbing though.

Dont know what works well,but I can recommend you DONT use steel wool and brasso!!:newsmile038:

Saw an ad by Cobra that recommended the Easy Off Cold Oven Cleaner. Have to let the pipes totally cool off to the touch, spray on the Oven Cleaner, and leave it on overnight.

I have used brillo with some success. I use the kind that the wife uses for pots and pans, with the soap. I make sure that I keep the chrome wet and the brillo wet and the soap acts as a lubricant. I haven't noticed any damage to my chrome this way.

Now if I could get the blueing off my front headpipe I would be happy, as brillo doesn't work very well on blueing (or maybe I'm not rubbing hard enough or something)

Back