free website stats program remove the clutch, primary chain, and compensating sprocket | Harley Davidson Forums

remove the clutch, primary chain, and compensating sprocket

deepseahog

Hello,
I have a '93 softtail springer. I'm trying to get the crankcase out to remachine the stud bolt holes (ripped out). I haven't done this before, so, I'm trying to get the proper information; so' I don't destroy anything. I need to remove the clutch assembly (clutch, primary chain, compensating sprocket), and then the back primary cover. How do you keep the assembly from moving, and do you remove the bolts with an impact driver? Any sage advice will be appriciated.

Of course HD sells a special tool for locking the primary for removal. Do search you can make your own, or do like I do and use a piece of 1"x4" or 2"x4". Probably not recommended by most but it works. An impact tool is not recommended for nut removal as damage to the magnets in the stator could occur. Although some have used an impact without ill effects. Get a manual for your bike, its worth it and all this info is in there too. Use the search function and you will find all you need to know.
Welcome to the best on the net too!

Bodeen

I use an old primary chain tensioner shoe, and just feed it between the chain and the sprocket as I start to turn the breaker bar. Remember when you are doing the clutch basket nut that it is a lefty!!

TQ

Hello,
If I use the 2x4 method, where is the best place to wedge the wood in order to stop the movement?

Wedged in the chain and sprocket in the direction that you are turning the breaker bar.

Bodeen

Back