free website stats program remove key ignition | Harley Davidson Forums

remove key ignition

timos00

How can i remove the key ignition on a electra 1998?

Attachments

• 2013-04-13_21-46-10_416.jpg
    2013-04-13_21-46-10_416.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 60
In looking at your pic it appears you already have the Knob off, or am I looking at it wrong. Are you trying to remove the entire switch for replacement? If you are then under the label plate,on,off,lock,access.,etc. there are 2 screws to take out. You have to remove the nut,collar, and spacer, they were under the knob. Then I believe there are 2 tabs on the front of the plate to unlatch it and remove it for access to the 2 screws.. Next the fairing cap has to come off.It's the plate with your speaker,cruise,access, and spots rocker switches. Once it is out of the way there are 2 screws holding the entire switch down with a 3 wire connector on it. Hope this helps. Most of it is from memory. If the knob is still on, that's another answer.
tourbox

A service manual would truly help you if you have one.
tourbox

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking at your pic it appears you already have the Knob off, or am I looking at it wrong. Are you trying to remove the entire switch for replacement? If you are then under the label plate,on,off,lock,access.,etc. there are 2 screws to take out. You have to remove the nut,collar, and spacer, they were under the knob. Then I believe there are 2 tabs on the front of the plate to unlatch it and remove it for access to the 2 screws.. Next the fairing cap has to come off.It's the plate with your speaker,cruise,access, and spots rocker switches. Once it is out of the way there are 2 screws holding the entire switch down with a 3 wire connector on it. Hope this helps. Most of it is from memory. If the knob is still on, that's another answer.
tourbox

No i don't have remove the knob yet I have watch several videos on you tube but I didn't find any where my lock at my lock I turn only the key the knob doesn't turn is stable.

I have never looked closely at a touring bike so i am working off the picture a 94 parts list and previous experiences so i might have it completely wrong here
I think that there is normally a knob that rotates in which the lock sits and the key unlocks the knob so that it can rotate through its various positions so the key would have 2 positions lock and unlock
on yours it looks more like a sportster where the key rotates through the various positions of the switch
It may be that your bike has been modified at some point in its life if it has the outer collar of the key-lock could be a nut that unscrews and may require the correct tools/technique to get it moving

Brian

I finaly fixed the problem it was a sticker on the top so i removed it and i found 4 screws it is ready to ride....

I finaly fixed the problem it was a sticker on the top so i removed it and i found 4 screws it is ready to ride....

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to see it was a easy repair once figured out.....

Back