free website stats program Rejet now, it's like a new bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Rejet now, it's like a new bike

trd865

I got my 2003 1200C in Oct 09 with 485 miles on it. The guy rode it a couple of time then parked it for six years in his driveway half covered. I took two weeks to change all fluids and clean up the bike. When I did the carb I put in new stock jets, 42 slow and 170 main. The bike seemed fine all winter, but when the warmer weather came it seemed to run hot and lose power. I have put 5000 miles on it since I got it. This past weekend I changed to a 45 slow jet and raised the needle with one washer. It's like a different bike now. It runs smoother and about 20 degrees cooler based on my dip stick thermometer.

It's amazing what some additional fuel will do for these bikes as you found out.:s

Same thing with fuel injection, needs some fuel over the stock setting or downloads.

What I forgot to mention was it only cost a couple of dollars and can be done in 30 to 45 minutes start to finish.

More fuel equals more cooling always better to be a tad rich than lean as the EPA has us too lean to start with:D

When you say one washer-can you give me an idea on the height of the washer?I replaced vacuum piston in mine and replaced the 42 with a 45 trying to eliminate a dead spot in early throttle. I put a washer under the needle and it smoothed the dead spot but transfered it up to be about half throttle? any advice? thanx.

Yep, 2 washers following Gliders' Self Help tip when I first discovered this website in 2008, the bike runs great...carburetion is spot on...only use choke to start, push it off, feathering throttle a bit and no dead spots, just pulls with power and torque...eh... "-like a tractor" :D

More fuel equals more cooling always better to be a tad rich than lean as the EPA has us too lean to start with:D

Yep, lean might be meaner but it will eventually destroy the engine. I bought my bike last year from my brother-in-law and it had drag pipes, stock air filter, and was not re-jetted when I got it. Re-jetted the bike and threw a new air filter in and the bike rides like new. It was running too lean and VERY hot.

I done as you instructed-ran out like a champ-come home put the kickstand down and low and behold-fuel coming out the overflow tube...MY ORIGINAL ISSUE LOL! Will i ever come to an end on this?

Back