free website stats program Regulator and stator bad?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Regulator and stator bad??

mtmasean

Was out riding yesterday with my dad and stopped for lunch. When we went to leave my 85 FXEF wouldn't start with the starter but started with the kick start. We had been riding for about 40 miles so the battery should have been charging while riding. Also, horn or turn signals wouldn't work either. Got home took a reading on the battery it was about 8 volts. Ok, low battery was the cause there for the horn and turn signals.

I checked the regulator and stator using the self help and tips on here. I hope I'm wrong but, I think I need both the stator and regulator.

Step 1.) Was reading 12.7 vdc, 2.) -199 mV (both pins), 3.) Infinity 4.) No change on digital meter (open) 5.) 17 vac 3000 rpm.

Battery is only about four months old. Motor is a 1340 Evo not sure what type of oil in primary was put in there prior to me getting it from my dad. Haven't smelt the oil in primary yet to see if it has a burnt smell or not. I do plan on taking the primary cover off soon to have it re-chromed. I was hoping that was all I was going to need to do though.

I hope I gave enough information. If I missed anything let me know so I can provide it. Any help would be greatly appreciated or re-affirm I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Sean

JBC-Those are the steps I was referring to (testing the charging system). I know the regulator is bad since it has a voltage on it and not charging the battery since it reads 12.7 vdc. It should read 14.3-14.7 vdc.

Based on your info, it does look like both are shot. The stator may have gone a while ago finally cratered the VR. Usually both go within a short time of each other. The 17 Vac at 3000rpm is way low. I would bet the sniff test on the primary fluid is gonna smell burnt.

TQ

Thanks for the feedback TQ and JBC. I was hoping it was only the VR so I wouldn't have to tear down the whole primary...

Back