free website stats program red hot header pipes at idle | Harley Davidson Forums

red hot header pipes at idle

johndeeredr

maybe nothing to worry about, but thought i check to be sure. i have a tfi part no fi-1250st settings are grn-2:30 yel- 3:30 red 3:30 and rpm at 4. aiso have stage one air cleaner kit but i removed my v.h. short shots and reinstalled my stock header pipes and put on se slip on mufflers. i was letting the engine run justa bove an idle for about 2 minutes and noticed that both header pipes were glowing red about 1 inch below the flange that bolts to the head. did not really see it well until i made it dark in my shop. is this normal and should i keep my tfi adjusted were it is or i noticed on dobecks site that there is settings for stock system. they are grn-2:30 yel 3:30 red 3:30 and rpm at 4. my main concern is the glowing red i see when its dark at the header pipes. starts and runs good has before but raining here in cetral cal and have not test drove it yet. thanks and hope somebody could help me.

Being in California and not knowing what the outside temp is, letting bike sit still with no fan blowing on engine and the unknown of what RPM it could very easily happen for there is no wind to dissipate the heat. On EFI bikes it is recommended to start and ride off in less than a minute. I would not make a habit of recreating condition..
Do you have the instructions that came with TFI? Otherwise I would readjust for stock set up.

thanks for the responce. and yes i have the intructions that came with the bike. about the idle it was im guessing about 1200- 1500rpm for at least 1 to 2 minutes. outside temp in my garage was 60 degrees and i had no air moving over the engine, guess i wont be doing that no more. i will set the tfi at the stock settings give it a try. i will also warm engine up no more that a minute before i take off.:bigsmiley30:

thanks for the responce. and yes i have the intructions that came with the bike. about the idle it was im guessing about 1200- 1500rpm for at least 1 to 2 minutes. outside temp in my garage was 60 degrees and i had no air moving over the engine, guess i wont be doing that no more. i will set the tfi at the stock settings give it a try. i will also warm engine up no more that a minute before i take off.:bigsmiley30:

Good deal...:s

Never a good thing to let it idel to long without air blowing across the engine. How's your fuel mixture? could it be running a little rich? or maybe some kind of exhaust restriction.

I AGREE, Never let a motor run very long BEFORE you ride off...

Even when the bike is OUT running in the wind, It is not Abnormal to see red glow in the first 2-3 inches of the head pipes at night.. That is where they turn blue over time(from being HOT).

If you want to run in an open area like your garage, Use a BIG box fan blowing across the pipes and motor at a 45* off the right front toward the rear of the motor.

When you work on the bike and want to listen to the results, the BIG FAN is needed. Remember, These bikes are Air Cooled... :D

Your TFI only needs to be Reset on the Green pot at 2000 RPM, making sure it is set properly for the changed exhaust.

Turn to 1 position (left=off) on the green pot , then turn it up Right while running at 2000 rpm until it Bocks with too much fuel,,,, then back down to the smoooooth running,,, that is set where it should be.:s

signed....BUBBIE

i just checked my short shots that i took off and i can see the same kind of blueing on the header pipes just below the flange area so i think i can ruel out some kind of restriction. i did check on the tfi web site and they have a settings for stock system. grn at 2:30 yel at 3:00 red at 2:30 and rpm at 4:00. so should i still reset the green pot has suggested? and leave the others alone? i now that i will be buying a BIG box fan !

i just checked my short shots that i took off and i can see the same kind of blueing on the header pipes just below the flange area so i think i can ruel out some kind of restriction. i did check on the tfi web site and they have a settings for stock system. grn at 2:30 yel at 3:00 red at 2:30 and rpm at 4:00. so should i still reset the green pot has suggested? and leave the others alone? i now that i will be buying a BIG box fan !

YES....

If it was MY Bike, I Would re-set the green pot to YOUR bike.... Suggested settings are just that, SUGGESTED....

The first Pot (green) is the one that should be Re-set to make your bike run the Best..
Each bike and Modification of it, is a Little different from bike to bike. So, Setting pot one especially for Your bike is the easy and best way to have Your bike run to it's fullest potential.

NO guessing involved when set using the 2000 RPM method.

The other pot settings (2-3-4) should be Just Fine where the suggested settings are used.

signed....BUBBIE

Back