free website stats program Red Hot exhaust pipes '76 Shovelhead | Harley Davidson Forums

Red Hot exhaust pipes '76 Shovelhead

sharkaye

My exhaust pipes are glowing red hot. I recently changed the spark plugs but I've heard it might be gas in the manifold. How do I confirm such a possibility

WOW... I don't have an answer but I am sure someone will chime in. I sure would not ride it until I knew. I have never seen actual red hot pipes. You would think the engine would fry by that point??

wow!last time I saw red hot pipes was at a hot rod track.Sorry I cant help,sure as god made little green apples someone on here can tho.good luck.hope its nothing serious.

Rode a Triumph Bonneville 750 in the 70's. When riding at night the pipes would glow red out of the head (nice to look at). Never was able to find out what the cause was. Tried to change plugs, readjust the carbs. Rode it that way for 2 years till I sold it. Good luck.

My exhaust pipes are glowing red hot. I recently changed the spark plugs but I've heard it might be gas in the manifold. How do I confirm such a possibility

just a guess but there is way to much air and nowhere near enough gasoline
inside your combustion chamber now whats causing that... could be several things

It's likely the mixture is not burning completely in the combustion chamber. The result is you have fuel burning in your pipes. Check your plugs, gap and timing. Then maybe your mixture.

Back