free website stats program Recommended tire pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Recommended tire pressure

JKT1969

Temps are dropping quickly. I checked my tire pressures and they were a little low, so I put 1lb less than what was listed on the sidewalls. Seems to ride better....but, what is the best tire pressure for my 09 Street Glide?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Temps are dropping quickly. I checked my tire pressures and they were a little low, so I put 1lb less than what was listed on the sidewalls. Seems to ride better....but, what is the best tire pressure for my 09 Street Glide?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Just remember -- the PSI on the sidewalls are MAX pressures!!!!!

Just remember -- the PSI on the sidewalls are MAX pressures!!!!!

Is that when the tires are inflated Cold. Or is that the max pressure under any circumstance (Hot)?

I am guessing that is the Max pressure when cold but I don't really know.

Is that when the tires are inflated Cold. Or is that the max pressure under any circumstance (Hot)?

I am guessing that is the Max pressure when cold but I don't really know.

Maximum pressure isn't necessarily the recomened pressure. It's best to check your owners manual.

Happy Thanksgiving.

JKT...very good that you took the time to check. Yes, seasonal check is a good call, a better one would at least monthly (preferably bi-monthly)...:D...as well as a simple visual check every time you ride as a minimum. Use the HD manufacturer's decal on the frame as a reference especially if you are using the stock Dunlop tires and wheels originally equipped cold. :s

The sidewall imprint only specifies the "absolute" max. cold pressure value, which is likely 10 PSI or more OVERINFLATED if compared to the actual HD factory manufacturer recommendation. :small3d002:

Maximum pressure isn't necessarily the recomened pressure. It's best to check your owners manual.

BINGO! Owner's manual will tell you the recommended pressure and takes precedence over the max pressure stamped on the sidewall.

The sidewall imprint only specifies the "absolute" max. cold pressure value, which is likely 10 PSI or more OVERINFLATED if compared to the actual HD factory manufacturer recommendation. :small3d002:

Well that makes sense to me. "absolute Max Cold Tire pressure".

But now I ask this:

This has been a long time puzzle for me since I use nitrogen...
I do know the user manual states the tire pressures when cold, in my case are: 30 front/ 36 rear (1 up). And 30 Front 40 Rear (2 up)
I do know a 30 front /36 rear when cold will yield 34 Front & 41 rear when Hot.
Does that mean Harley really wants the tires to run at 34 & 41 when hot? If so, would I then add extra PSI into the tires if using nitrogen because nitrogen has a lower coefficient of expansion?

Since I use nitrogen, I have no clue what my tire pressures should be.
Any ideas?

BINGO! Owner's manual will tell you the recommended pressure and takes precedence over the max pressure stamped on the sidewall.

How can you say the owners manual takes precedence over the Tire Manufacturer? I would believe the Tire manufacturer over the Bike manufacturer.
Remember when the Shuttle manufacturer said they were right over the "O"ring manufacturer?

How can you say the owners manual takes precedence over the Tire Manufacturer? I would believe the Tire manufacturer over the Bike manufacturer.
Remember when the Shuttle manufacturer said they were right over the "O"ring manufacturer?

Obviously I wasn't very clear. I meant the owner's manual should take precedence in setting the target running pressures of the tires over the max pressures the tire manufacturer is required by law to put on the sidewalls. The sidewall numbers are not target numbers, they are a maximum. I'm fairly certain the owner's manual numbers are arrived at in conjunction with the tire companies that make the tires that come stock on the bikes, they aren't invented in a vacuum.

Back