free website stats program Recommend A Battery ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Recommend A Battery ?

RickyBobby

I read through the tech tips section on batteries. I know mine is having issues, because I can not ride it a couple days and the starter is slower and it does not fire up as quick as it does when I take it right off the tender. It is 3 years old and I think it is time to just stick a new one in. I have the original in there now.
These new sealed cells are great. Is there an aftermarket one that might be better than original. I don't really need CCA, but what could it hurt to get one with more than I have now?
It looks like it is going to be a $100 proposition anyway, so I was curious if there is a brand or brands that you guys can offer a recommendation.

I called my local dealer. They had one for $114. I decided to look at Ebay. There were a lot of brands available. Some up to 300+ CCA. I do not have a big electrical draw of lights and such. I finally decided to go with my best price I could find on a battery called a DEKA. I liked the connectors. Made in Pa. USA and the seller had good feedback and was from FL. I got the battery that has 270 CCA. It was $69 and under $85 with shipping. I'll try that and hope for the best. The sales tax here is almost as much as the shipping (CA. just raised the state sales tax one cent April 1st). It really is an easy way to shop and save time and money to use the internet. That is if you don't need something right at the moment, because I won't get the battery until about 5 days. :)

I read through the tech tips section on batteries. I know mine is having issues, because I can not ride it a couple days and the starter is slower and it does not fire up as quick as it does when I take it right off the tender. It is 3 years old and I think it is time to just stick a new one in. I have the original in there now.
These new sealed cells are great. Is there an aftermarket one that might be better than original. I don't really need CCA, but what could it hurt to get one with more than I have now?
It looks like it is going to be a $100 proposition anyway, so I was curious if there is a brand or brands that you guys can offer a recommendation.

I see that you have ordered one, but here is what I like if the one you got does not meet your expectations:

Odyssey Drycell Motorcycle Batteries

TQ

Last edited:
I see that you have ordered one, but here is what I like if the you you got does not meet your expectations:

Odyssey Drycell Motorcycle Batteries

TQ

I looked at them. I liked the fact that they are drycell. I am just now getting into the idea of a gel cell. I have to take this modern stuff in moderation. Sort of have to ease into it. :D

I somewhat proud of myself for just buying on the internet. Old geezers like me have to ease into the future. :)

I will give the Odyssey a try next time, for sure. Thanks.

Deka makes a nice unit, I have one in my 01. I have heard that Deka makes the HD Battery. Mine looks just like the 7 year old HD battery it replaced, different color and terminals were the only differences.

Hey TQ, you and I have the same bike and I need a new battery. Could you tell me how much you paid for the Odyssey and the model?
Thanks

Hey TQ, you and I have the same bike and I need a new battery. Could you tell me how much you paid for the Odyssey and the model?
Thanks

They have a guide on the link above to all the bike brands and models. For our '03 UCs, here is the battery:

Odyssey PC925 LMJ

I bought my battery at the end of March, 2006. Price then was $114.95 and S&H to TX was $15.83. No tax since I am out of CA.

Hope this helps. Regardless of the battery you buy, get a tender. I like the Battery Tender Jr. Inexpensive, but VERY effective. I plug mine in EVERY night when I get home.

TQ

Harley batteries are good, Interstate yuasa any of them. There's not a great big difference between any of them in my opinion. It's how you care for it that determines how long it lasts. I've gotten as much as 4 years and as little as 1 from batteries.

I have an odysey for my low rider and one for my dresser and I think they are great. No complaints about them at all and I recommend them highly.

still got the original one on my 01 so ill probably be nedding one in a few yrs.whata you think ?

Back