free website stats program Recent model year RKs/baggers Speed Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

Recent model year RKs/baggers Speed Sensor

TQuentin1

Staff member
I was looking at a newer RK (96ci w/OEM 6-spd) and could not see where they have put the speed sensor on the new case. On my older bikes, it is right on top kinda under the right side of the starter. On the SE 6-spd I put on my UC, they have moved it to the top of the trap door. But I did not see either of these locations on this newer RK? Where's it at?!

TQ

Right below the Neutral Switch.

VSSLocation.jpg

Wow! Well that sure looks obvious. Not sure how I missed that. The bike is gone from downstairs when I just went to see how I missed the VSS. Is it usually covered by the starter or something?

TQ

TQ

You have to really look in there to see the VSS. If you hold your mouth a certain way and lay on the floor, you'll see it.:s

Right. Got it. But I was looking at another guy's bike and he wasn't there. Didn't want him to come along and find me fiddlin' with his bike. Most guys take a dim view on that sort of thing!!

TQ

Right. Got it. But I was looking at another guy's bike and he wasn't there. Didn't want him to come along and find me fiddlin' with his bike. Most guys take a dim view on that sort of thing!!

TQ

Man, you sure know how to have fun! Most of us admire the bling, pipes, mods, etc. You're on your hands and knees looking for his speed sensor. Is there more to this story? :p

Man, you sure know how to have fun! Most of us admire the bling, pipes, mods, etc. You're on your hands and knees looking for his speed sensor. Is there more to this story? :p

Nope. Just pulled into the garage and backed in next to this newer RK. Just wanted to take note of the differences between my '03 and this new bike. Noticed the goofy tranny vent tube right away and the other differences in the design of the tranny. Like I said above, I didn't want to be man-handling the guy's bike if he came out. So I couldn't see where the VSS was stashed.

TQ

I've also been challenged to find the VSS. It must be totally under the starter, removed for that pic, as I can't even see a hint of the mounting bold. Thought this and the CKP might be something for an annual inspection for fuzz.

On the newer bikes with the 96, it is really tucked in under the starter. Great engineering being they do collect fuzz and have to be removed at times.

Back