free website stats program Recall / Metzler tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Recall / Metzler tires

Crocker

I dont know if anyone knows of the Metzler recall on ME880s ,about a month ago I recieved a letter from metzler about a recall on there ME880 130/90/16 and 140/90/16 blackwall tires DOT EB 48 A414 2608 3608 and DOT EB 49 A414 2608 3608 if you are riding on these you can return them from where you bought them and get new tires, the recall is due to a the PSI rating it is stamped 42 PSI but should be stamped 50 PSI other then that there is no problem just a miss stamping issue ,But hey if ya got some wear on them you can get some new free rubber. I hope I posted this in the right place here because I could not find a Alert/Recall section here ,so I figured in the wheel section would be ok .

I dont know if anyone knows of the Metzler recall on ME880s ,about a month ago I recieved a letter from metzler about a recall on there ME880 130/90/16 and 140/90/16 blackwall tires DOT EB 48 A414 2608 3608 and DOT EB 49 A414 2608 3608 if you are riding on these you can return them from where you bought them and get new tires, the recall is due to a the PSI rating it is stamped 42 PSI but should be stamped 50 PSI other then that there is no problem just a miss stamping issue ,But hey if ya got some wear on them you can get some new free rubber. I hope I posted this in the right place here because I could not find a Alert/Recall section here ,so I figured in the wheel section would be ok .

Crocker,
Thanks for the info. I've actually got one of these 130/90-16 on a gold Asahi wheel off the old Virago. I run a 18" Seca rear wheel on it now. Maybe sell the wheel with brand new rubber.

Do you have a scanner that you could post up a copy of the letter? I'm running a pair that are pretty new and have 42 PSI on the side walls...now that you mention it, I had a pair on my ol' brand "Y" metric that were stamped 50 PSI never really thought about it. :33:

Don't know if this has been resolved yet, but this is the info from the NHTSA site. If you would care to look for yourself, google NHTSA.GOV

These tires are the only ones listed under Metzeler I could find.

Recalls Summary

Tire Brand Name / Tire Line / Tire Size: Production Dates: METZELER / 13070R18 JUL 12, 1999 - MAY 25, 2000 METZELER / 16080R16 Information not Available NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00T004000 Summary: TIRE DESCRIPTION: ME 880 MARATHON FRONT TIRE, SIZE 130/70 R 18 AND ME 880 MARATHON REAR TIRE, SIZE 160/80 R 16. THE VEHICLE BECOMES UNSTABLE AND WILL BEGIN TO WEAVE AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. Consequence: THE DRIVER COULD LOOSE CONTROL POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY. Remedy: THE RECALLED TIRES WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER. Notes: OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JULY 31, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT METZELER AT 1-610-524-2190. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Last edited:
I dont have a scaner, My tires are also pretty new , I dont ride that bike much , I only proberly have a few hundred miles on those tires, I bought them sometime last summer for my Indian , I am not to concerned being its only a stamping issue on the psi rating ,I would suggest call metzler or the people you bought them from . being I had redone both back and front wheels rechrome ,spokes ,berrings ect , I not going to bother ,As far as I understand it it is only for the size and dot number I posted above . the funny thing is that I was looking at white walls in this size and remembered finding it odd that the white wall had a diffrent tire psi rating then the black wall ,but I just did not think anything of it..

I can't find any recall on that tire size from Metzeler. Nothing on the Metzeler site or the NHTSA site. Look at my post just above about the tires that do have a problem. Glider also posted the same info in the tire/wheels section. If you have a link about the info, please post it.
I have one of these tires in the size you specify.
thanks,

Last edited:
The issues with the metzler tires is mainly due to under inflation. They run about 10% higher than the Dunlop tires on the same bike.

They have a toll free number for questions, 800-747-3554 at the prompt press 2, if you do not get someone leave a voice mail, someone will call you back.

Don't know if this has been resolved yet, but this is the info from the NHTSA site. If you would care to look for yourself, google NHTSA.GOV

These tires are the only ones listed under Metzeler I could find.

Recalls Summary

Tire Brand Name / Tire Line / Tire Size: Production Dates: METZELER / 13070R18 JUL 12, 1999 - MAY 25, 2000 METZELER / 16080R16 Information not Available NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00T004000 Summary: TIRE DESCRIPTION: ME 880 MARATHON FRONT TIRE, SIZE 130/70 R 18 AND ME 880 MARATHON REAR TIRE, SIZE 160/80 R 16. THE VEHICLE BECOMES UNSTABLE AND WILL BEGIN TO WEAVE AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. Consequence: THE DRIVER COULD LOOSE CONTROL POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY. Remedy: THE RECALLED TIRES WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER. Notes: OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JULY 31, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT METZELER AT 1-610-524-2190. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

I believe those tires listed are Radials ....the R tells ya that. Check out the Mets site to read sidewalls.

METZELER - Reading a Sidewall

Back