free website stats program Rear Wheel Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Wheel Noise

Hi All,
I have a 2005 Ultra Classic. Recently I am hearing a noise that I think is coming from the rear wheel area. It sounds like a whining sound. My hearing is not the best but it seems most noticeable around 40 mph. I put the bike up on the jack and could not feel play in the rear wheel and it seems to rotate freely. I'm thinking maybe wheel bearings. Any thoughts. I have not pulled the wheel yet to see how the bearings feel. I was hoping to wait until I need to replace the rear tire.

Thanks for all replies

Double check the plastic belt cover below the swing arm....make sure it hasn't deflected and is rubbing. A shiny spot on the outside edge of the belt would indicate that and could cause noise like you describe....otherwise, it could be a wheel bearing on its way out. It's tough to check them for play without actually pulling the wheel because the brake pads tend to keep minimal distance between the disc and pad limiting or making it near impossible to feel much play. I pull the wheel and put the axle in a little from each side and yank up and down to check for play as well as putting my thumb into the bearing and rotating to feel for any roughness making sure it turns nice and smooth.

If you think it is one (or both) of the rear wheel bearings headed South on you, I suggest that you find someone to ride on the passenger seat so they can lean over and listen to the sound as your moving and try to isolate it. Make sure the person does not have long hair hanging loose to be grabbed by something turning.

Wheel bearings are not something to ignore. With these sealed bearings in the newer bikes, there is no maintenance to do. Just have to replace them on a schedule or when they fail. Failure on the rear is not necessarily as critical as on the front, but neither is good. So either find the source of the noise, or swap out the bearings just to be safe if you suspect them.

The other thing to double check is that your brake pads are not worn out (both sides). This doesn't usually make a sound I would describe as a whine, but rather a grinding sound when the pads are gone. But a fairly easy check.

Cheers,

TQ

How many miles are on the bike? Does the whining happen without the old lady on the back too? Try pulling the clutch in and killin the motor on a safe little downhill where you can coast. While doing that apply slight pressure to the rear brake off and on and see if that makes a difference. How long has this been happening? Did you add anything recently, like a custom belt guard? Had the wheel off? Believe it or not, sometimes dirt or even brake dust build up on the edge of the pads can make noise. Last resort is a good, safes lift where you can get the wheel spinning. Caution! This can be dangerous!

I tell you what. After an 8 hr day of riding I also hear some whining from the back. It can be fixed with dinner and a hotel room.
As for the bike making a whining sound, take a look at the tire tread to see if tbere is any chopping on the edges, that will make the sound you hear also.

I tell you what. After an 8 hr day of riding I also hear some whining from the back. It can be fixed with dinner and a hotel room.
As for the bike making a whining sound, take a look at the tire tread to see if tbere is any chopping on the edges, that will make the sound you hear also.

Now that's funny stuff, but so true!

Back