free website stats program Rear Turn signal issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Turn signal issues

Cooker

I have a 2003 Dyna Superglide Sport. When I came home after a ride, I noticed that the tail light housing was just hanging off the end of the bike by the electrical cable. So, I re-attached it to the frame. Now the front turn signals work fine, the turn signal indicator on the handle bar works fine. In the rear the left turn works, the running/stop light does not work, the right rear turn signal does not work, however as I turn on ther right signal, the left turn signal runs. I had the bad lights tested, the stop/brake light tested good, the turn signal light tested bad. The lights were converted to LED by the previous owner.

I'm new at electrical issues. Are the rear lights on their own circuit, are they independent, run on there own, or are they dependant, when one goes out, every one after after the bad one, are out - like the old christmas lights, when one goes they all go. Because the bike has been converted to LED, could the "Load balance" have gone bad? I check the fuses, they are ok.

Attachments

• my byke.jpg
    my byke.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
I'm assuming the "right" signal is the one that was hanging and reattached ?

Sounds like the wire to the turn signal has shorted or opened due to the trauma of the bracket failure. Can't say for sure though since you have the aftermarket LED setup and I'm not familiar with that wiring.

what was hanging was the signal unit, both left and right are conected by a hollow conduit, so you can snake the wires through. The after market signals are adapted to replace the original signals. The original wireing from the battery is stock up to the tail light connection, except where the "Load Balancing" component is connected/spliced in.

If I were you I would pull the bracket back off and look for wire insulation damage. If they were working before the bracket fell off that's probably the culprit.

If I understand you correctly the load balancer came with the LEDs ?
OR
when you say load balancer are you talking about a Run/Turn/Stop module bought separate from the LED kit ?

In any case I suspect your problem is in a damaged wire. If the fuse is not blowing it's probably not shorted to ground but rather cross circuiting to another B+ wire.

yes, the "load balancer" (resistor) came with the LED lights, I found that out when I called the vendor for a replacement for the turn signal. Inb addition, I did find an article,. on the Web, from 2006 that explained LED lights and installation on Harley's <attached>, helpful, but did not fix problem, I think I may just order the replacement, turn signal, install it and then go from there

Are these, by chance, Kuryakin lights? I put the HD LED turns (front & rear) on my 07 Ultra. They also convert the turn signals into Run/Brake/Turn lights. Best part is, no load equalizer required and they are pretty much plug & play. I don't know if you can buy 1 turn signal...they usually are sold as a set of front or rear.

Yes, they are Kuryakin. I called them and they only sell turn signals as sets, the person I talked to said that I may want to check the "load Balancer". The previous owner said he had the LED's installed in 2003, right after he bought the byke.

Back