free website stats program Rear Tire Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tire Problem

patrick33

2012 FLH Classic. 4283 miles. The rear tire is cupping. I check the pressures often. 40lb rear and 36 front as per manual. Only need a pound of air now and then. Now I noticed cupping. I ride 2 up most of the time. I am a large man at 6' 2" and 290lb. The wife weight is around 160. Don't tell anyone I said that.:s I will take it to the Stealership this week. My ? is, will they give a bunch of (EDIT) , or replace tire under warranty.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
2012 FLH Classic. 4283 miles. The rear tire is cupping. I check the pressures often. 40lb rear and 36 front as per manual. Only need a pound of air now and then. Now I noticed cupping. I ride 2 up most of the time. I am a large man at 6' 2" and 290lb. The wife weight is around 160. Don't tell anyone I said that.:s I will take it to the Stealership this week. My ? is, will they give a bunch of (EDIT) , or replace tire under warranty.

Going in Hot and Heavy,,,, they might not like you.

Going in and saying My rear tire is cupping:D.... they will probably go at it the right way and replace it with a new one, under tire warranty.:small3d031:

Cupping on a FEW of these New larger tires have been a problem.

Let us Know what they do please...

signed....BUBBIE

Never mind the manual check the sidewall of the tire and see what is th recomended psi cold for max. weight, I'm riding under the same weight classification as you are and I always go with the tire mfg. recommandations and have never had a problem. I'd be willing to bet the manuals psi's are a few pounds lower than the tire mfg.'s. :s

Not going to go in Hot. Just going to tell the service dept. I have a problem. See where it goes from there. Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks

I'm not really good with tire pressure Knowledge...

Would from 40 to 42 pounds make a BIG substancial difference...

NOT doubting the chart showing 42... Just asking here so WE can learn.:D

swiping this thread to get the needed answers as patric33 has gotten the answer and ALSO He might benefit here from the responses from the Members..

I also agree to go with what the TIRE/TYRE manuf. suggest.
Thanks for replies....

I know that HEAT and under pressure wears out the tires Early.
also
Over inflated will cause the center to wear early
also
Under will cause Heat and outer of tire to wear

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not really good with tire pressure Knowledge...

Would from 40 to 42 pounds make a BIG substancial difference...

NOT doubting the chart showing 42... Just asking here so WE can learn.:D

swiping this thread to get the needed answers as patric33 has gotten the answer and ALSO He might benefit here from the responses from the Members..

I also agree to go with what the TIRE/TYRE manuf. suggest.
Thanks for replies....

I know that HEAT and under pressure wears out the tires Early.
also
Over inflated will cause the center to wear early
also
Under will cause Heat and outer of tire to wear

signed....BUBBIE

I'm no expert on the subject either BUBBIE, but I would think when getting close to the load limit of the tire 1-2 lbs low might start the tire to wear un-characteristically and once the wear starts away we go......

Like stated might not be the direct cause but a good place to start.

I'm no expert on the subject either BUBBIE, but I would think when getting close to the load limit of the tire 1-2 lbs low might start the tire to wear un-characteristically and once the wear starts away we go......

Like stated might not be the direct cause but a good place to start.

Agree, once the wear pattern has started it is there for the life of the tire, SEE what the dealer says, there may be up dated info from the tire manufacturer

Hate to point out something that might already been considered was, is your pressure gauge accurate? I had a similar issue when I had two pressure gauges gave identical bad readings. The tires were in fact 8lbs under pressure.

Back