free website stats program Rear Sprockets 07 Touring | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Sprockets 07 Touring

ATROX88

Account Removed
My question is about the rear wheel sprockets on the 07 and later bikes. Harley went from a 70 tooth sprockets on 06 and earlier models to a 66 tooth sprocket on the 07 6 speed and later models. Apparently there is a belt width difference to. I would like to change out to a 70 tooth but have not found one yet. I understand there is a gear in the primary you can change to compensate?

What are you trying to accomplish? There are different compensator sprockets available, and Baker uses a change there to accomplish the rpm reduction in their DD6 builders kit (and assembled trannies!) while maintaining a 1:1 ratio in 6th gear. Supposed to be a more efficient 6th this way.

TQ

I am trying to pick up more bottom takeoff power. When momma and I are on the bike...thats a 300lb load, and the bike struggles to take off. I would prefer more bottom end "oomph" than a reduction in highway rpm and I understand a sprocket change will give me this?

Hmm, Me and Momma together are about 450 LBS, and my bike takes off fine. Clutch adjusted properly? Try a few more revs before you hit the friction zone (I don't mean prep for a wheelie, just a FEW more revs)

Hmm, Me and Momma together are about 450 LBS, and my bike takes off fine. Clutch adjusted properly? Try a few more revs before you hit the friction zone (I don't mean prep for a wheelie, just a FEW more revs)

man I was way off on that. I am 275 and momma is...well, lets just say over 200 :nosad. My math was bad on that one :D My 05 had better bottom end pull than my 07. its like changing the gearing in a car, going from 3:23's to 3:73's your takeoff is better but the rpm at highway speeds is higher.

OK. Here is a calculator in case you want to do the math before you spend any money.

Gear Ratio and Calculator - Harley Davidson Community

Another option is to up-grade your cams to some that deliver more bottom end torque. You might take a peek at the Andrews Products info here:

Andrews Products - Motorcycle Page

TQ

Thank you TQuentin. I was considering Andrews cams for this coming winter. It looks like the 216321 or the 216326 would be great. the bike has no mods at all at this time and when I do this I would like the combo to be right on but I also want the bike to remain dependable.

again as said above i would check the clutch and maybe give it mroe revs im 325 and momma 125 and mine takes off fine even with true duals that is supposed to lose more bottom end for ya

Back