free website stats program rear sprocket is BROKEN | Harley Davidson Forums

rear sprocket is BROKEN

ironmark

There is a crack all the way around the rear sprocket it is on the inner side of the sprocket towards the wheel , I noticed it when I heard a clunking sound , good thing I was only a couple hundred yards from home :bigsmiley21:. I am having it towed to the dealer but I was wondering if this is a common problem & if it should be covered by warranty & what would cause the sprocket to break this way ?

I would think the warranty would cover that failure. Can't think of anything except a defective sprocket. Burnouts might toast a belt. Too tight a belt would break the belt. One of the guys on the ride yesterday had a cylinder head replaced under warranty on his '09 street glide. The spark plug broke off as he was removing it for the 5K service. The plug was cracked at the crush gasket. How poorly can the Chinese make parts? Some of the issues with my '08 road king are just inexcusable.
flhrrider

I have never heard of another one. I would imagine that the sprocket had to be defective, and would expect that the dealership would replace it gratis.

TQ

Maybe the RG has too much tourqe & I should take out the 103" stage 2 . :small3d023: OMG what was I thinking . It is @ the dealers now they said it would take about 3 days :small3d031: 3 days without riding is going to be tough :panic

Last edited:
The dealer is playing it safe just in case they have to order more coffee :coffee I mean parts . I did use the HOG group towing service & they provided me with fast service & treated the bike like it was theirs , very good service :bigsmiley12: . I asked the sevice man about putting on a new tire because HD should pick up some labor because the back wheel is coming off anyways , they still want $250 it sound like a ripoff to me :small3d012:

I asked the sevice man about putting on a new tire because HD should pick up some labor because the back wheel is coming off anyways , they still want $250 it sound like a ripoff to me :small3d012:

Yep, sure does. A high price for Dunlop D402 rear is about $140 and 1/2 hour shop time to mount and balance. Should be around $175 to $180 (or less!!) depending on hourly labor rate. Tell them, forget it. You'll take it somewhere else.

TQ

The HD web site list the D402 for $164.95 & even with the $50 mounting & balance fee it would be $214.95 . I can go to a independent MC tire store & get the same thing for $225 & that is with the wheel on the bike . If the HD dealer came in @ the $215 price I would have them do it because there is not to much difference in price & every thing would be done when I roll it out of the shop .

I got the bike back today & the rear sprocket (pulley) was not broken . The HD tech said the seam in the sprocket was how it was made . The problem was the rear wheel bearing went out & the tech stated that it was a common problem with the 08 touring models & there was a recall on the rear wheel bearing , my bike was not included in the recall the HD service manager checked , but the bearing still seemed to have a problem , the bike had 16,400 + miles . Back on the road again:cheers

Glad you got it sorted. Can you post a picture of the sprocket closeup, so we will know what the seam looks like, so we do not mistake it as a fracture or defect?

Back