free website stats program rear running light and turn signal not working | Harley Davidson Forums

rear running light and turn signal not working

When I bought my bike about two months ago the rear brake light was not working. The running light was working when I bought the bike. As of today when I went out to start it neither the running light or brake light are working. I put new bulb in and that did not fix anything. I checked all the fuses and none are blown. I dont know where to go from here. Please help I have a weekend ride this friday.

I would check under the rear fender to see if the wiring is not tucked up tight against the fender, maybe the tire rubbed through the wiring. It can happen.

Definitely check your wiring connections (pins, wires & harness) running from back of brake/running lights throughout the rear. Look for frayed/pinched/rubbed wires, or rusted connectors. Wiggle the wiring as you go to see if there's a problem & you might want to invest in a cheap multi-meter to test the runs for continuity & ground. I got mine at Sears on sale ($9.99). Good luck!

As in post 2 & 3 for sure. Also if you press the front brake does the brake light come? If it does I would suspect the Rear brake light switch to be defective. The blue wire(?) in the fender connector should be the tail light(running light). You should have 12Vdc there.
tourbox

Does your bike have the brake light harness that makes the rear turn signals brake lights also? Check under the seat for the wiring harness?

neither the hand break lever or the foot lever are doing anything. The rear running light is not working either. I checked the connector at the rear tail light. It seemed ok, no rust or corrosion. I dident notice any breaks in the wire running under the rear fender.

Under your seat there should be a 3 or 4 wire connector to the rear fender. It should have a 1 Black,1 Red/Yellow, 1 Blue wires. There may also be a Orange/White for HDI models.
Use a Volt meter or a 12volt test light. Unplug the connector and check for voltage/light
on the bike side connector. Use a ground for testing. The BE(blue) wire is the tail light,R/Y is the brake light, Blk. is your ground. You will only get voltage/light on the R/Y when brake is applied. If you use a test light you can check your ground(Blk.) by hooking the alligator clip to your Battery + post then then light probe to the Blk. wire. If the Blk. wire is good then the light will light.Easy way to ck. grnd. connections. This done with the key on.This will narrow it down some.
tourbox

Under your seat there should be a 3 or 4 wire connector to the rear fender. It should have a 1 Black,1 Red/Yellow, 1 Blue wires. There may also be a Orange/White for HDI models.
Use a Volt meter or a 12volt test light. Unplug the connector and check for voltage/light
on the bike side connector. Use a ground for testing. The BE(blue) wire is the tail light,R/Y is the brake light, Blk. is your ground. You will only get voltage/light on the R/Y when brake is applied. If you use a test light you can check your ground(Blk.) by hooking the alligator clip to your Battery + post then then light probe to the Blk. wire. If the Blk. wire is good then the light will light.Easy way to ck. grnd. connections. This done with the key on.This will narrow it down some.
tourbox

Makes me think this could have the auxiliary brake light module kit from Harley and it may have a problem there?

Back