free website stats program Rear Cylinder Not Running | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Cylinder Not Running

tom3

My 2007 Road Glide 27k was running fine. After sitting two weeks I started it up to warm it up so I could change the oil & it only ran on front cylinder. Took to local shop & had it hooked to computer & all electrical checked out fine. I brought it home & added a small amount of fuel injector cleaner to spark plug hole on rear cylinder. I put the spark plug back in & hit the start button it sputtered a couple of seconds, Rear Cylinder kicked in and both cylinders ran fine. Road 15 miles & it ran great. Two hours later I went to warm it up to change my oil and the rear cylinder was not running again. I replaced both fuel injectors with new OEM injectors. I fired my bike back up and it is again only running on front cylinder. Any suggestions on what could be wrong would be of great appreciation.

Thanking You In Advance,
Tom3

Did you check it for codes? You may want to wiggle the injectors wires around for the rear cylinder to see if it will kick back on. Could be a loose,open, high joint on or near the injector connector.
tourbox

Did you check it for codes? You may want to wiggle the injectors wires around for the rear cylinder to see if it will kick back on. Could be a loose,open, high joint on or near the injector connector.
tourbox
Yes, I have checked codes & checked wires with light tester

Are you running the factory ECM? Have you added any black boxes (power commander etc) to the mix. When checking for codes are you using the WOW self test? Do you see the word 'none' when look at results of codes. Does any node show "no response".

I'm with Tourbix. Checking in static condition may not reveal the source.
WAP.gif

tom3, Hoople is the MAN when it comes to troubleshooting electrical problems. You said you put FI cleaner in and it ran on two. Sounds to me like you have either a weak spark or no spark. Check your wires and connections to the plugs for anything abnormal. It ran OK after you pulled the plug and reinstalled it. There by moving the plug wire.

Thank yall for all suggestions. I'm old school and at whits end. I am going to take it to shop. when I find out what is wrong I will post it here in case anyone else may be experiencing the same problem, tom3

You never answered Hoople's questions in post #4 above.

Is your ECM and fuel control system all stock? Spark plugs and wires?

Update Sorry about the miss understanding. The bike is stock factory. I was doing the wrenching my self at home and I took it to a friends shop as I didn't have all the tools I needed. First we checked rear cylinder push rods and very small up and down travel. Thought maybe cam so we pulled cover to check cam & chain. Nothing wrong with cam. Pulled exhaust shine light in head & saw rear exhaust valve stuck open. Proceeded to pull valve covers and head. C-clip retaining ring had come off valve guide. Valve guide had dropped & valve stuck to it. Removed valve spring & valve and could about push valve guide out with finger. I didn't understand why they put a retaining ring on valve guide instead of having shoulder on valve guide. I checked with local Harley shops to find oversized valve guide to press back in and none were available. I checked valve straightness & seeding, valve was straight , I cleaned it up, took valve guide to machine shop and had it knurled for quick fix. I applied red Loctite and pressed back in head, checked valve seat, put on valve keepers, checked keepers with rubber hammer, put bike back together and it runs fine. The mystery was running on one cylinder, put in small amount fuel injection cleaner bike ran fine for 15 miles and then two hours later only running on one cylinder again. I have never heard or seen of a valve guide dropping, going back up in place and then dropping again. Mystery solved. I'm back in the wind. Maybe this will help someone else out that has same issue. Much Thanks, tom3

Back