free website stats program Rear Cylinder Cutoff | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Cylinder Cutoff

twicecam

I have read that there is a switch to turn the rear cylinder off and on, I thought it was automatic, I have the 09 service manual and the owners manual, O can not find what section it is in. Can anyone help?:newsmile017:

you have to turn the throttle forward with bike off ands run switch on to activate it

turn switch on. turn on ign switch. roll throttle to hard off position and hold. cruise light will be orange. when the cruise control light turns green, you have enabled the rear cyl. cutoff. note. the rpm will be a steady 900 rpm and the exhaust will STINK. rev engine before starting from a stop or it will stall. you will feel the change in idle. the tach wil not vary or deviate from 900rpm until you blip the throttle. it self activates and will stay enabled until you turn it off in the same way.

So will it just be running on the front cylinder all the time then? I thought it went into "parade" or single cyclinder mode automatically if the engine got too hot? I have a 2010 FLHRC does this model have a single cylinder mode too?

Called Engine Idle Temp Management System (EITMS) & it's meant for riders who are out in high traffic delay areas (i.e. rush hour) where the bike gets no airflow. When engaged your engine will cut rear cyl when experiencing high temp during idle. Once you run throttle - both cyls engage. Should be on all 09 & newer touring bikes...

Thanks for clarifying Steve07 - I wasn't sure if this was an option on the earlier 96ci models.

I have had mine engage a couple times this summer. the idle becomes a steady thump thump thump instead of the lumpy normal idle. I didnt notice any smell change to exhaust etc. and it picked up from the standstill just fine with no extra work. Not sure I noticed any huge heat loss on my leg but the infrared images shown by Harley indicates quite a difference when it engages....

but the infrared images shown by Harley indicates quite a difference when it engages....

I would expect to see that on the touring models since you have the entire engine sinking heat for just 1 cylinder.

Where did you see those images? I would also like to hear what they say about it topic.

Let me do some digging...I think it was when they were making a big noise about its introduction. It shows the rear head and exhaust pipe (down to the collector) rather bright red then , with EMITS working, they are dark as the rear cylinder is just an air pump at that point...I'll see if I can find em again.

I've looked and looked and just cannot find the images I saw...perhaps they were in a magazine article in Rider or some such...but they were dramatic. EITMS is really only for idling as far as I can tell so if you are slow moving it will probably not engage. It takes very little throttle movement to dis-engage it.

Back