free website stats program Rear brake system HELP!!!!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake system HELP!!!!!!!!

jeepin

OK so serious problem here. Long story short:

Lowsided and bike on the riders right side. The bike slide under another car. The rear brake line got cut and all the brake fluid came out.

Got a new rear brake line section (the section from the caliper to pump(?) with the brake light switch integrated).

Removed the old one, replaced the new one. Looks exactly the same as the original setup.

*Note: the line was void of any fluid including the caliper.

Filled the master cylinder up with fluid and used a bleed kit to suck fluid to the caliper...no dice.

Put the caliper end of the brake line in fluid and tried to suck fluid from the master cylinder backwards.

When I disconnected the lower end of the brake line (at the pump) small amounts of new fluid drained out. BUT I can't get fluid into the rear section of the brake line.

Im BAFFLED! I hope this makes sense to someone. I'm about to limp it up to the dealer...

When you say you tried to suck the fluid through are you referring to a vacuum system such as a mity-vac? Have you attempted to depress the brake pedal and push the fluid through that way?

Is there a blockage in the line?

Have you opened the bleeder valve?
WAP.gif

When you say you tried to suck the fluid through are you referring to a vacuum system such as a mity-vac? Have you attempted to depress the brake pedal and push the fluid through that way?

Is there a blockage in the line?

Have you opened the bleeder valve?
WAP.gif

Mity vac hand trigger pump.

I pumped the brake with and without the pump.

I don't know about blockage. It is a brand new, out of box line. Fluid is passing through the rear master but not through the line, brake light switch, or caliper.

So with just the rear brake line attached to the master cylinder (& not attached to the caliper), you get a hard pedal when you apply pressure?

So with just the rear brake line attached to the master cylinder (& not attached to the caliper), you get a hard pedal when you apply pressure?

no, I get soft pedal no matter what, with no fluid past the master cylinder/rear brake line connection

So with the brake line not attached to the master cylinder, if you pump the pedal, brake fluid does not squirt out.

By chance did something get bent that would stop the brake pedal from coming ALL the way to the top? Was the master cylinder pushrod changed in length. (made too long)

If the piston inside the master cylinder does not retract FULLY, the compensator port will be covered. When that happens, fluid will not be allowed to enter the piston chamber and you will have no pumping action.

The rest position of the master cylinder piston must be all the way out.

By chance did something get bent that would stop the brake pedal from coming ALL the way to the top? Was the master cylinder pushrod changed in length.

If the piston inside the master cylinder does not retract FULLY, the compensator port will be covered. When that happens, fluid will not be allowed to enter the piston chamber and you will have no pumping action.

The rest position of the master cylinder piston must be all the way out.

Honestly, I don't know. The pedal APPEARS to have the same stroke length. The master cylinder APPEARS to push in and out as before. If I disconnect the brake line at the master cylinder I See fluid, but I don't seem to get fluid PAST THAT POINT. Could the brake light swith have anything to do with that? IDK.

When I pumped FROM the resevoir I got fluid from the master cylinder but nothing else

Back