free website stats program Rear brake seize! | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake seize!

MickeyG2000

Hi all - need some advice please. Yesterday I rode my ‘99 FXSTB and my rear brakes locked up. I didn’t realize it until I came to a stop and couldn’t move the bike. The heat was intense and boiled the brake fluid and also discolored the stainless steel rotor. Without even looking at it, the Harley dealership is telling me I need to replace the rotor and caliper in the rear. Of course with the usual supply chain issues lately, the caliper will take at least a month before it’s in stock - not to mention the cost of replacing both. More importantly it’s a month of no riding! Does replacing the caliper and rotor sound correct in this situation? Thanks in advance.

I assume they are counting on the rotor being warped from the heat, and the faulty caliper is where the problem started. It sucks to not be able to ride, but brakes are kind of essential on a motorcycle. Check around to other dealers for parts availability.

I would want to know why the brakes locked up before replacing and have them lock up again. Calipers just don't "go bad"; something caused the lock up. The caliper pistons were under pressure which could be caused by several things.
1. pistons dirty and stuck and would not retract
2. return hole in master cylinder blocked
3. not enough free play in foot pedal allowing pads to drag, over heat and warp; or the foot pedal not fully returning and holding some pressure on the line.
4. dirty brake fluid.

I would start by removing and disassembling the caliper. If pistons are OK, a piston seal (o-ring) and a couple of "boot/seal" kits is all the is needed to return the caliper to service. Parts are going to be hard to find for a 23 year old Harley. Check the rotor, maybe it's not warped. I would also be checking all of the above and chainging brake fluid to try and find the cause. No need for anew caliper, rebuild kits are available and used are available on Ebay.

I have rotors off my '05 FXTD and would be happy to send one to the OP for shipping cost. The OP needs to do the homework to detemine if '05 will fit '99. I suspoect the bolt pattern works but the later disc might be the wrong diameter. I will send anyway if the OP wants to try.

Dolt is correct on his recommendations.
Dust boots on the caliper piston being torn will let dirt and water in and make the piston stick.
Now with the fluid cooled does the wheel spin freely?
Contaminated brake fluid, like if someone added hydraulic fluid to the system, will expand when heated and cause the problem , I did that way back in the 70's but in my car, had to leave it along the highway, came back a couple hrs later and the fluid cooled down enough to get it home.

I once had a brake line collapse internally, which then allowed fluid to pass from the master cylinder, but would not allow the fluid to return.
Another possibility.

Check on J&P cycles or DennisKirk for parts. You can get new caliper pistons and seals on these online stores. I still find parts all day long new for my 1988 heritage Softail.

Sounds like everything has been very well covered; however, IF you do have to replace parts - forget Harley and do as Frenchie suggests - go after market.

Don't pay Harley prices but (in your situation) I would get a second opinion from an independent mechanic before jumping into anything. Chances are he/she will find one of the problems outlined above, fix the problem and save you a heap of dollars.

IF you do need to replace your Calipers/Rotors and Pads then your biggest expense will be your Calipers at around $350 - $500 (ave). Rotors $110 give or take and Sintered Pads - various prices. Everything in stock and you'd have it all within a week roughly.

Some brands you might consider Performance Machine (expensive but a very good rep) EBC (mid ranged), V-Twin, Bikers Choice (cheaper end of the spectrum) Arlen Ness (up there with PM and also very good) . Lot's of others as well. Personally, I certainly WOULD NOT under any circumstances go with "used brake parts". That's asking for trouble in my opinion.

Yep - a lot of money, but ahh how much do you and your family and friends reckon your life is worth?

Hmm - maybe I shouldn't have said that - my family reckons I'm worth more dead than alive .... :confused: :D

Last edited:
Back