free website stats program Rear brake light out | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear brake light out

rollo3076

Howdy doody, My rear brake light is out and I couldnt find any thing on it in the self help section. How hard is it to change out the rear brake switch on a 08 egc? Any instruction on how to remove and replace it would be appreciated. You folks have talked me thru a few repairs and Im learning how to fix my own ride, which is actually kinda fun. The front brake light works fine and I notice the rear one would flicker a time or two before it totally stopped working. Thanks guys.

I am sure someone will be along soon to help you out. :s But you are correct, fixing your bike does give you a sense of accomplishment & and is kind of fun! The people here are top notch for helping others out!. :)

Call your local dealer and give them your VIN, HD had a recall campaign for defective switches starting in late 2008

Call your local dealer and give them your VIN, HD had a recall campaign for defective switches starting in late 2008
Yessir, they fixed it once already..I had two bolts come out of the trans. side case, right by the switch, and it got pretty greasy. I unplugged it and sprayed it with cleaner hoping that was it. Looks like Im gonna have to pull it off and replace it.

It just unscrews from the fitting. If you have the tools to get into the limited space it will pretty easy, if not, it will be almost impossible. Are you comfortable bleeding the rear brake after you replace the switch? If not, may as well pay someone to do the whole job.

It just unscrews from the fitting. If you have the tools to get into the limited space it will pretty easy, if not, it will be almost impossible. Are you comfortable bleeding the rear brake after you replace the switch? If not, may as well pay someone to do the whole job.
YESSIR, I think I can bleed them ok. Im gonna give it a try. Thank you.

It's a standard 2 blade connector,brake switch available at any auto supply store. I don't know the thread dimensions offhand, but I'll look through my pile. The way I change it without bleeding the brakes is; Bike on jiffy stand, fill (few drops) the new switch with brake fluid, have someone put slight pressure on the pedal, and unscrew the old switch, fluid will come out with switch. Quickly start the new switch in the threads before releasing brake pedal. Now you can refill the master cylinder, and don't have air in the line. Hopefully. :bigsmiley25:

Got it!! Thanks it was easier than it looked, didn't even get air in the line. I think I'll go ahead and flush it out and change it tho. Thanks for your help.:)

Back