free website stats program Rear Belt Drive Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Belt Drive Noise

craig Lee

This is the bomb Rear Belt Drive Noise - Harley Davidson Community
Exactly answered what we were looking for. When backing Mz Bling's and my bike in after a day of riding, now that it is warmer, we have heard the squeeking on both bikes.

Question: Glider posted this a couple years ago. Thankyou. Are we still sold on the Dry Silicone Spray by Krylon? or any new developments.

That or any belt dressing from the auto parts store. Personally, I like using an old candle - I jack up the rear tire and put the bike in first. Carefully start the bike and ease out the clutch. Being very careful, I then hold the candle against the sides of the belt.

TQ

That or any belt dressing from the auto parts store. Personally, I like using an old candle - I jack up the rear tire and put the bike in first. Carefully start the bike and ease out the clutch. Being very careful, I then hold the candle against the sides of the belt.

TQ

Interesting, Thanks.

And, you can also use a liberal dose of Pledge!! The wax in that will do the same thing.

TQ

I have found that the pulleys expand when hot and the belt doesn't. I adjust my belt to the loose side, and this eliminates the noise. Most people adjust there belt too tight.

Thorns

I have found that the pulleys expand when hot and the belt doesn't. I adjust my belt to the loose side, and this eliminates the noise. Most people adjust there belt too tight.

Thorns

I have wondered about that. The belts on both bikes seem pretty tight after riding but have the 1/4"-5/16" play before riding. (although I don't have the 10lb pressure tool and going by feel) Picked up some Krylon Silicone Spray today. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

just like the older chain & sprocket tight then loose w/ u roll bike. id say the sprockets are not perfect..

Picked up some Krylon Silicone Spray today. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

I think the candle wax tip from TQ is the Ticket. If you do go with silicone spray, I would make sure it's food grade silicone. Most silicone sprays have petroleum (hydrocarbon) based solvents in them. That's the last thing you want to put on a rubber/fiberglass belt. Food grade are free of those extra nasty rubber attacking products.

Back