free website stats program Rear Axle Nut | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Axle Nut

Nightowl

Account Removed
Anyone know the size of the rear axle cone nut on a 2005 FLSTC. I can get a 15/16 wrench on it but it is loose and I don't want to round off the nut. A 7/8th is too small. Is it a metric size? I want the right size socket so I can torque it right.

Thanks,

I've always used a 6-point 15/16". I think a 23mm is smaller and a 24mm is bigger. Are you using a 12-point socket? I've never seen a 29/32" wrench or socket which would be slightly smaller than a 15/16".

If 1" is 25.4mm wouldn't 36mm be almost 1 7/16"? Maybe I'm confused.

Yes. And that is the size on my bike too ('03 bagger). So your bike must take a significantly smaller size if the 15/16" socket fits. I would suggest going with the advice above and getting a 6 point socket.

As a general note, the right size socket will SOMETIMES be called out in the HD Factory Service Manual for your bike model and year. But I just downloaded the 2006 Softail manual from Downloads, and it DOES NOT call out the size of the axle nut. (But torque is 60-65 ft-lbs!!).

TQ

Last edited:
15/16 is .9219, 23mm is .9055, 24mm is .9448 so it is probly 23mm since 15/16 is a little loose.

Yep, 15/16th is the winner. Torque is 60-65 ft pds. I wish the service manuals were better at givinig nut and bolt sizes. But then there are so many of them. Thanks to all.

The parts manuals have the sizes in the back of the books.At least in the older versions.They are listed in numerical order then the size next to it. Very handy
tourbox

Back