free website stats program Real amount of oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Real amount of oil

timberwolf

Just did my first oil change with new filter on my 2011 superglide and the HD dealer said 3 qts. I put in 2 1/2 qts and its a little over full after letting it run for about 5 min. Is this the true amount it needs or did the dealer say 3 qts just cuz that's all they sell is qts. even the manual said 3 qts.:dknow

Just did my first oil change with new filter on my 2011 superglide and the HD dealer said 3 qts. I put in 2 1/2 qts and its a little over full after letting it run for about 5 min. Is this the true amount it needs or did the dealer say 3 qts just cuz that's all they sell is qts. even the manual said 3 qts.:dknow

hear is my take on it:i never pay attention to the capacity i add oil untill it reads full hot then i fire the bike up let it run for 3 min or so then i check it on the dip stick most of the time it will be half way between add and full hot i then add oil untill i'm about 1/4 inch under full hot i then go for a go 25 mile ride shut the bike off let it sit for about 2min and i check the oil and %99 of the time its dead on the money full hot

note: this is on an oil change

When I had my original 1,000 service done on my Dyna apparently the dealer put in three quarts. When I got home I checked hot and it was over filled. They did not do that on subsequent changes.

My manual says check it hot on the side stand. There was an article last month in American Iron on a dyna and they specifically said to check it upright. Good luck doing that by yourself.

Put in the correct oil and check it accoridng to your manual and you should be fine. Of course I use HD synthetic so obviously I don't know anything.

I've always put about 15-20 miles before dumping oil then added 1/2 a qt.less than fill amount then did ride for 15-20 miles getting to operating temp and then filling to hot full mark with no problems

My manual says check it hot on the side stand. There was an article last month in American Iron on a dyna and they specifically said to check it upright.

I think I'd go with the company that built my bike over a magazine.

The one thing I never understood is since these have dry sumps and its pumped into the engine why does it spit out oil if overfilled since the crank is not dipping into it ??

I think I'd go with the company that built my bike over a magazine.

I got to Agree here, American Iron writers get it wrong some times, your Owners manual states on side stand, I go with that:s

I read that if you overfill and when the oil gets hot like we all know it does, there isn't any airspace for it to expand and this forces it to exit the engine. Most commonly I think it goes to the air filter. My guess is it would have to be way over filled.

Back