free website stats program Re-activating a '95 FLHTCU | Harley Davidson Forums

Re-activating a '95 FLHTCU

btsom

This machine has about 1000 miles total, has been in garage storage most of the time. I know tires need to be changed, do drive belts age when stored in clean, dry, indoor conditions or are they more wear out items rather than age replacement items?

The belt can deteriorate just like the tires. Gauge from the condition of the belt but I would change it too as well as flush the fuel system and then run a cleaner in it to. Naturally the oil and filter too.

This machine has about 1000 miles total, has been in garage storage most of the time. I know tires need to be changed, do drive belts age when stored in clean, dry, indoor conditions or are they more wear out items rather than age replacement items?

Both age and miles will take a toll on all parts. If in doubt change the belt and have a good look at the pulleys for wear, check the primary chain adjustment and adjust the clutch:s

Thanks, hadn't thought about the clutch adjustment. I have seen old tires come apart on the tire mounting machines, the bead cable had rusted and broke under a very light load. Not trying to argue, just get my head around the belt question. I believe there is no steel in the belt, just various rubber compounds and kevlar cords. Would the answer have been any different if this machine had about 32,000 miles on it now, about 2000 miles a year and had been run every summer? And if the answer remains the same, at about what age should the drive belt be changed, even if in good visual condition?

The choice on the belt is up to you but with the age of the bike being a 95, I would do it just for peace of mind so you don't get stranded.

Flushing the oil tank would be a good idea as well, This being an evo motor, cleaning the over head tappet screen would be a good idea as well

Thanks one and all. As the price goes up, that may push my buddy over the edge into the Switchback he is thinking about.

95 ultra is an anniversary edition, good bike, I rode one this past year to Sturgis and back, I put over 2k on that bike it had 78k on the original motor and clutch:s

He got all the anniversary extras with it, all "like new". It would make a swell piece for a collector. He likes it very much but he is a little short and as he gets older, doesn't want to drop it because he's not quit tall enough for the solid reach to the ground from the seat. He already has a lower seat on it.

He got all the anniversary extras with it, all "like new". It would make a swell piece for a collector. He likes it very much but he is a little short and as he gets older, doesn't want to drop it because he's not quit tall enough for the solid reach to the ground from the seat. He already has a lower seat on it.

Hmmmm, I am 5ft 7 and had no problems with that beast, thicker soled boots and a bit less air in the shocks makes a huge difference JMO

Back