free website stats program Rattling noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rattling noise?

I just changed the all the fluids on my 04 Road glide and I used Formula + for the first time in the primary. The chain was tight so I loosened it a little. I just went for a 100 mile ride and after about 50 miles I noticed this rattling sound coming from the inspection cover area? Sound appears to be worse when bike is idling? But then when at speed maybe I just can't hear it?

Anyone know what might be making this noise? My RG has 27,000 miles on it and has never made this rattling noise before?

Thanks

sounds like your primary chain might be loose. did you check the tension in multiple spots before you loosened it? you should raise the rear wheel shift the bike into 5th gear and check the tension in about for different spots....you may have adjusted it from a tight spot in the chain causing it to be too loose now....did yo check it in multiple spots?

I would take a re-look at that chain tension. Did you place all the slack in 1 one side when you checked & adjusted it.

One other note when I changed the engine oil I used the advise I read on here about using a one gallon zip lock baggie over the oil filter. This worked like a charm I didn't spill a drop!
I can't remember who posted the advice but thanks!

I just changed the all the fluids on my 04 Road glide and I used Formula + for the first time in the primary. The chain was tight so I loosened it a little. I just went for a 100 mile ride and after about 50 miles I noticed this rattling sound coming from the inspection cover area? Sound appears to be worse when bike is idling? But then when at speed maybe I just can't hear it?

Anyone know what might be making this noise? My RG has 27,000 miles on it and has never made this rattling noise before?

Thanks

I think you said it THEN YOU LOOSENED IT......

PROBABLY TOO LOOSE NOW and RUBBING and BANGING against the housing... some times the nut and ratchet can come loose (improperly aligned and tightened).. that is a hard adjustment and should be done while stone cold ....1/2" is where i put mine.. USUALLY on a stand and pull plugs... put in 3/4 gear and turn over using tire FOWARD ,,,, checking for tightness as located in different spots on chain...

COURIOUS HOW TIGHT WAS IT?

CHECK the tension again and REPORT.....

signed....BUBBIE

As Smitty said get the manual and do a propper adjustment.Even though the book suggests to do this using the primary inspection cover on my softail,Ive found removing the outer primary to be the only way to get an accurate measurement.

On a cold engine the free play was about 3/8 so I lowered the tensioner to approx 3/4 but I did it with the bike in neutral? Service manual I have doesn't say anything about putting the bike in any specific gear.

Tomorrow I will check it at different points and with the bike in gear.

On a cold engine the free play was about 3/8 so I lowered the tensioner to approx 3/4 but I did it with the bike in neutral? Service manual I have doesn't say anything about putting the bike in any specific gear.

Tomorrow I will check it at different points and with the bike in gear.

THE BIKE IN GEAR ONLY MEANS THAT YOU CAN USE THE TIRE TO TURN THE ENGINE OVER BY GRABBING ON TO THE TIRE AND ROTATE IT FORWARD A LITTLE AT A TIME(i like plugs out when doing this adjustment) that moves the chain forward at different spots to see if tight or loose...
NO CHAIN will be on an even tightness so an average is needed to set right...

sounds like yours was rrightt to start if coldd and LOOSE if changed when hot....The chain will tighten when HOT and LOOSE when cold...

signed....BUBBIE

Back