free website stats program Rattling front break but it still works fine | Harley Davidson Forums

Rattling front break but it still works fine

shubert

Hey,
I own a 2008 Dyna Superglide. It have put 2100 miles on it since the end of August. Love the bike but I have a bunch of random questions. I am mechanically inclined, but only so far as my nervousness will allow me to go. I always feel I am going to screw something up, so I don't go any further than I know (which isn't much) but I want to learn as much as I can.

My front brake, when applied makes a buzz sound, it is not a rattle. Sounds very much like a locust. It only makes that sound when I brake at speeds lower than 15 or 20 miles per hour.

Also I put on a separate passenger pavillion seat for my girlfriend to sit on, however it seems that the bolt head are marring the clearcoat just enough each ride that i think it is going to be a problem. Any suggestions?

I apologize if these are stupid questions I just want to have some wisdom behind what I am doing, and not just jump into this blindly.

Your title says 'rattling',but your post says 'a buzzing sound'.If the brakes work well and you only hear noise at low speeds,don't worry.

I would say the sound you're hearing is the holes in the disc being 'swept' by the brake pads when you apply the brakes.Every bike i've ridden with drilled discs makes SOME noise when the brakes are used.Mostly a 'whirring' type of sound.I do have to say that my Deluxe is worse in this regard than my 595 Trumpy because it dosen't just have holes,it has biggish holes.Just like yours.

Sorry,cant help with the seat prob.
Regards.

Last edited:
Here are my suggestions:

Front Brake - not sure if that model has dual disc or just a single. Also, does that model have ABS, or did that start in '09? If it does have ABS, I suggest getting back to the Dealership pronto and getting that checked out and documented - just in case.

Get the HD Factory Service Manual for your bike model and year, and go through the section on the front brake/front wheel installation (where ever it is found), and make sure that the front wheel is mounted correctly (I suggest with caliper (s) removed). After checking the front wheel mounting, clean the front rotor (s) with brake cleaner. Shield stuff with an old towel to keep the Brake Clean off it. Get the rotor (s) good and clean both sides. Inspect any holes or slots in the rotor (s) for burrs. The edges of any holes/slots should be sharp.

Then remount caliper (s) making sure you lightly lube the mounting bolt shafts with a light lube - bearing grease is too heavy, I like a light moly. Pay attention to anything the book says about alignment of the caliper (s).

Check that out.

Seat - I cut and put some thin neoprene sheet (I think it is supposed to be to line tool box drawers - at least that is the other use I have for it) under the seat on the fender to protect it from the seat. The other option that is a bit more trouble, is to glue the material to the bottom of the seat in the offending areas.

TQ

i agree it does sound like that .. didnt the dynas also have a bad headlight mount that was causing buzzing?

My 06 softail makes a noise simular to what you discribed the front makes a little more noise than the back or mabye because its more out in the open it just seems louder any way I have checked with several friends and they ALL SAIDTHERE BIKES MADE THE SAME NOISE from day one I JUST FIGURED IT WAS COMING FROM THE DRILLED ROTORS

Thanks for the advice. I am not as worried about it now. When i can get it to a dealership I will do so, just to be safe.
Thanks again

Your title says 'rattling',but your post says 'a buzzing sound'.If the brakes work well and you only hear noise at low speeds,don't worry.

I would say the sound you're hearing is the holes in the disc being 'swept' by the brake pads when you apply the brakes.Every bike i've ridden with drilled discs makes SOME noise when the brakes are used.Mostly a 'whirring' type of sound.I do have to say that my Deluxe is worse in this regard than my 595 Trumpy because it dosen't just have holes,it has biggish holes.Just like yours.

Sorry,cant help with the seat prob.
Regards.

I think biscuit is right,

I have an 09 Dyna Low Rider and the front brake makes that same noise...I just had mine in the shop for service. I forgot to tell him about it but he drove it around the block and he didn't say anything.

Back