free website stats program rattles | Harley Davidson Forums

rattles

gunnut

anybody any ideas on stopping my jiffy stand rattling???I've had a look,and everythnig seems to be ok bolt and fixings wise.Do I need to buy a kit of some sort,or can I bodge it somehow????Thanks,
Also,The screaming eagle pipes have a rat6tle too,anbd no amount of tightening the fixing clamps kills it.I'm begining to suspect loose baffles...if thts the case,can they be tightened up,or shall I just rip em out and have even louder pipes???

Check if you are missing a side stand bumper. Not sure if there is one on that bike but worth a look.

As far as the mufflers, sometimes it's necessary to "modify" the baffle ends so they fit tighter (bend) :D

Are you sure it's not the heat shields making the noise?

Check if you are missing a side stand bumper. Not sure if there is one on that bike but worth a look.

As far as the mufflers, sometimes it's necessary to "modify" the baffle ends so they fit tighter (bend) :D

Are you sure it's not the heat shields making the noise?

A few more here:::
If kick-stand doesn't have a good Tight return spring, replace it...

If the frame Doesn't have a Rubber stop for the kick stand, Some have A rubber in the Hole on the kick stand,,,, that may be missing, my 2000 had that problem of rubber missing from stand. $2.50 new from HD and rattle gone....(if missing on stand, a small hole on the flat end of stand is easy to see,,, and is where it goes)

ALSO, I have found to take OUT the baffles and LIGHTLY tap the INNER (forward end,usually too loose a fit) Lightly,with a hammer using my vice end as a bucking bar... making them tight again.. Mine did rattle there...

signed....BUBBIE

A few more here:::
If kick-stand doesn't have a good Tight return spring, replace it...

If the frame Doesn't have a Rubber stop for the kick stand, Some have A rubber in the Hole on the kick stand,,,, that may be missing, my 2000 had that problem of rubber missing from stand. $2.50 new from HD and rattle gone....(if missing on stand, a small hole on the flat end of stand is easy to see,,, and is where it goes)

ALSO, I have found to take OUT the baffles and LIGHTLY tap the INNER (forward end,usually too loose a fit) Lightly,with a hammer using my vice end as a bucking bar... making them tight again.. Mine did rattle there...

signed....BUBBIE

Porkchop2-1.jpg
:bigsmiley20:

I still have the stock pipes on my bike (2009 FXDL) and you can hear my baffles rattle when the bike is sitting still and at idle. I did not know I could remove them and give them a twist or bend to stop them from making noise. Will I have to remove the pipes from the cylinders to do that? How big a job?

I still have the stock pipes on my bike (2009 FXDL) and you can hear my baffles rattle when the bike is sitting still and at idle. I did not know I could remove them and give them a twist or bend to stop them from making noise. Will I have to remove the pipes from the cylinders to do that? How big a job?

I think they are talking SE pipesHoop, stock mufflers have a plug that looks like a freeze plug

No, removal Not necessary,,,,, Just look at the side bottom back on muffler and see IF they are held by a "bolt" or "rivet"... Just remove "that" and pull out the baffles and You will see how to fix... The top end has a collar that fit tight into the muffler.... Usually loose and just needs to be Out of Round a little to tighten to muffler... Careful Hoop when you put the baffles back IN so You PRE-align as they came out,,,, so not much turning is needed when replacing the rivet or bolt. Once they are Tight, coming back out is difficult!

signed....BUBBIE

Hoople,
If a rivet is used on yours and the alignment is not lined up when you put it back together,, I have re-drilled the baffle Thru the muffler hole and saved line-up time , drilling a new rivet hole as long as the baffle is ALL the way in place....

signed....BUBBIE

Back