free website stats program Random Popping and Then Stalling Out | Harley Davidson Forums

Random Popping and Then Stalling Out

--Bonez--

Ok, guys here I am again on the forum needing advice and help... My 07 Softail Custom has been randomly popping on decell and then stalling out at stops for the past couple of years now...! It's been a complete mystery and still is even though I finally decided to take it to my Harley guy and we discovered that the fuel lines had small pin holes in them so he installed all new fuel lines, (replacement fuel filter line kit,) new HD clamps, new fuel pressure disconnect as it was bad also .! Fuel pressure would drop all the way down to 10.! And so, did this fix the random popping and stalling.? No, it did not.! A week later after riding it all day the popping returned and then a stall-out while I was turning onto my street for home... Fired right back up as it always does... What else could be doing this.? Note: It throws no codes
Show less

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps, start at the beginning. What if any mods have you done?
EFI Tuning question,
I purchased this bike 3 years ago... I have no clue as to what has been done to it by the previous owner(s) Only thing that I have done was added python slip-ons and that shouldn't cause a tuning problem.? Like I said in my post, new fuel lines, new fuel pressure disconnect, new fuel filter kit... The only thing that wasn't replaced was the check valve but it looked good with no cracks or leaks so back in it went... I sat right there in the shop beside the mechanic the whole time, a really cool and honest guy and showed me step by step how to remove the fuel assembly out of the tank... At this point, I know its gotta be something simple but 3 years later I'm still trying to figure it out.! It's random and the only clue I get when it's going to stall out is when it starts popping on decel... That's my sign it's acting up... It throws no codes at all

I think Jeff Has you going in the right direction as far as decel popping goes. I have an 08 FXSTC and had issues early on with decel popping but never stalling out. Solved the decel issues, first by loosening & tightening the exhaust manifold nuts to proper torque, still had a little decel but big improvement. When I decided to install a fuelpak I was able to tune it to where no decel at all.
The stalling issue is confusing, I'm wondering if the intake is dirty or if there is another issue with it. Hopefully others can shed more light on your issue.

The '07's (1st yr. 96c.i.) were susceptible to having the IAC (Idle Air Control) system get clogged. Easy fix is to get an aerosol can of fuel injection or carb cleaner and spray it through the hole at 12:00 in front of the intake butterfly. Spray with ign off, then with ign. on, repeat. I stuff a white rag deep into the intake throat so I can see how much dirty stuff comes out. Don't forget to remove the rag before starting.

Back