free website stats program Random dead Gauges, Tach, Turn Sigs, | Harley Davidson Forums

Random dead Gauges, Tach, Turn Sigs,

jmsoftts

Hello Fellas,

I just bought a 1986 FLHTC about a month ago that has the annoying habit of loosing power to the Tach, Gauges, Turn Sigs, Oil Light & Nuetral Light. Additionally, the brake light does not work and when the system is acting up the lamp is out. When everything is working the lamp is on all the time. I have heard this is a "common issue", a "known problem" & "the white wire" but can't seem to find anything on the INet. I have poked around with the "white wire" but have not been able to get a change in the symptoms. Other than this the bike runs fine although when I left it sit for 2 weeks the battery had drained to the point that it would not start but did still light the lights.

Your Humble Student

Hello Fellas,

I just bought a 1986 FLHTC about a month ago that has the annoying habit of loosing power to the Tach, Gauges, Turn Sigs, Oil Light & Nuetral Light. Additionally, the brake light does not work and when the system is acting up the lamp is out. When everything is working the lamp is on all the time. I have heard this is a "common issue", a "known problem" & "the white wire" but can't seem to find anything on the INet. I have poked around with the "white wire" but have not been able to get a change in the symptoms. Other than this the bike runs fine although when I left it sit for 2 weeks the battery had drained to the point that it would not start but did still light the lights.

As a general rule, many electical problems can be attributed to problems with back connections and grounds, particularly with the main battery cables. Take off, wire brush clean, and reinstall both ends of both cables. Remember, neg off first and on last. See if that helps.

TQ

After cleaning the battery connections apply some dilectric grease, I would also check the ignition switch connections:D

Checked connections. Pulled the fairing off to look at the connections in there and the relay that feeds the accessories was corroded (all are but it was the worst) and looked to be cracked in the resin fill. Pulled the one off my 84 (which is currently down.....ah the Harley life) and so far so good but only time will tell as it was not a constant issue.

Checked connections. Pulled the fairing off to look at the connections in there and the relay that feeds the accessories was corroded (all are but it was the worst) and looked to be cracked in the resin fill. Pulled the one off my 84 (which is currently down.....ah the Harley life) and so far so good but only time will tell as it was not a constant issue.

Good 4 u , dont forget the dilectric grease to keep water out of the connections:s

Back